Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tow Truck Involved in Tragic Fatality (DE)

TowNews

25-year-old man from Bear killed after police say he walked into I-95 traffic Monday

A 25-year-old man from Bear died Monday morning after being hit by a tow truck on I-95 near New Castle, according to Delaware State Police.

The man – who has not yet been identified by police – had initially pulled over onto the right shoulder of the highway, police said. Then, at about 11:44 a.m., he got out of his car and walked into the right lane of northbound traffic. Police said they do not know why he left his vehicle.

As the man was exiting his car, he walked into the path of a tow truck heading north on I-95, according to police. The driver attempted to swerve out of the way, police said, but ended up hitting the man in the road.

Police said the pedestrian died on the scene. There was no one else in the car with him.

The tow truck driver, a 51-year-old man from Clayton, was not injured, police said.

The crash shut down the right two lanes of I-95 north near the exit to Route 141 for three hours, leaving traffic backed up all the way past Christiana Mall.

Anyone with information about the crash is asked to call Detective Anthony Tenebruso at 302-365-8435 or contact Delaware Crime Stoppers at 800-TIP-3333.

Delaware State Police Investigating Fatal Pedestrian Crash – New Castle

New Castle – Delaware State Police is investigating a fatal pedestrian crash that occurred late yesterday morning.

On Monday, November 22, 2021, at approximately 11:44 a.m., a 2019 Freightlinwas traveling northbound on I-95 in the right lane of travel.  At the same time, a 2012 Ford Escape had pulled over to the right shoulder of I-95 just er tow truck north of the exit to Route 141 southbound.  As the Freightliner neared the location of the Ford Escape, for unknown reasons, the sole occupant exited his vehicle and entered into the right lane of travel. The Freightliner attempted to swerve to the left, but was unable to avoid the collision and struck the pedestrian.

The 25-year-old male victim of Bear, DE was pronounced deceased at the scene. The name of the victim is pending notification to the next of kin.

The 51-year-old operator of the tow truck of Clayton, DE was not injured in the crash.

The two right lanes of I-95 northbound were closed for approximately three hours while the crash was investigated and cleared.

Anyone with information regarding the incident should contact Detective Tenebruso by calling 302-365-8435. Information may also be provided by calling Delaware Crime Stoppers at 1-800-TIP-3333 or via the internet at http://www.delaware.crimestoppersweb.com.

*Traffic Advisory* State Troopers Investigating Serious Crash – New Castle

If you or someone you know is a victim or witness of crime or have lost a loved one to a sudden death and are in need of assistance, the Delaware State Police Victim Services Unit/Delaware Victim Center is available to offer you support and resources 24 hours a day through a toll free hotline 1800 VICTIM-1. (1-800-842-8461). You may also email the unit Director at debra.reed@state.de.us.

You can follow the Delaware State Police by clicking on:

Delaware State Police Official Web Site