Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Looking for history on Heinz boom.

atrmick

We bought this truck 2 years ago and I am looking for more information on the builder of the boom. From what little I have found so far it is a Heinz or Heins boom sometimes called a Big Stick. Ours is all hydro but still has the rib along the bottom where would have been pined in place. We picked it up from D & G towing in Kingman, AZ. We were told that the owners father had put the rig together 10 years before. The cab is 92 White/GMC (Volvo) and the bed was said to be from a 1972 truck but the suspension is now air ride set to haul a lot of weight. The Tulsa winches are rated for 65,00 lbs pull on the lower and 45,000 lbs pull on the upper, both with 1 1/8" wire rope. 

This has and continues to an awesome recovery truck. It has pulling power for days and its only real limitation is that the boom does not extend. Further, with large air ride suspension and the 425 Cat motor I have been able to tow in 97,00 with no issues at all. 

Questions:

Ours has a integrated under reach, did they build any that way?

Were there different length booms built.

I was told that some had a inner boom that would pinned in place, is that true?

Just looking for more info and get to show off at the same time. 

0107191657.thumb.jpg.6f51ff2317ec4d06c86c2d8b8c50ba90.jpg

Here is a good pic of the boom.

292614939_0205190307(1).thumb.jpg.1373f880613a326184964acf1a62e9c7.jpg

The tractor and trailer were almost 80 feet down and buried in 2 feet of snow with mud under neigh. The truck that came out to give us had had a problem with their heavy so we just pulled up by ourselves.

0108191009_HDR.thumb.jpg.b46f12a583fd6b448c7db09459c4d35a.jpg

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.