Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Vintage Load Leveler

My grandfather pulled an 8-foot x 50-foot Spartan trailer from Texas to Alabama in the late 1950s with a 1950 Ford pickup. The truck was equipped with an "old style" load leveler (weight distribution) hitch. It featured a middle section with an oval hole that the trailer tongue jack passed through. A leaf spring was attached to the front section, and the rear section had a round (pipe shaped) section. The leaf spring portion engaged an opening under the hitch ball, and the rear "pipe shaped" section passed through a support that clamped to the trailer tongue. I've viewed pictures of vintage trailers being towed, but I haven't found a picture showing the load leveler. I would like to find a picture and learn of the brand name for the load leveler. Also, I remember a trailer dealership--may have been in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, or another state--with an Oldsmobile Toronado (probably a 1965 model), an early front wheel drive vehicle, with the rear wheels removed while connected to a trailer utilizing a load leveler hitch. It was possible for the Oldsmobile to move the trailer without the rear wheels. Of course, it would not be possible to drive away. I would appreciate any pictures or links.