Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

ID help with unknown bed

So I got this truck on trade. It wasnt my choice but Im ok with it. It's my daily driver for now. Its been "hotrodded" but Im slowly fixing that. 

74 chevy c30, 350. Single extendable pipe beam. Cable operated wheellift. Everything works great. Does anybody have any ideas on the maker? Ive heard Vulcan, Ive heard Lambert, nobody can hit me with any info. No plates or names but 1 latch says "Reading." Any help would be greatly accepted. 

20180902_185538.jpg

Edited by Chico Marx
Picture update

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Chico ... I happened upon this a little late and by now you've probably got the answer you're looking for. 

If there's a plate that identifies, "Reading", I'd be inclined to think the truck bed was build by Reading Truck Bodies from Reading PA. They had a dozen or so locations (distributors) across the US. Like Fruehauf, Reading built a ton of utility beds to custom order or spec, but I don't remember them building wreckers. My guess is, by looking closely at the wrecker's boom and tow bar, the bed may have been commercially built and the winch/boom assembly may have been home or shop built and added. It looks like good bones for a Rat Rod Wrecker, or a first truck. There's still a bunch of Reading bodies on the west coast. Have fun with it.   R. 

Randall C. Resch

Thank you. I traded a ratrod daily for it, it makes a good heavy work truck. It's been so chopped, I can't find anything but the reading. I am in western Pa and got it from eastern Pa. It works great. Pieced and chopped, with some odd choices, but works great. I think he was trying for a drag truck. Thank you. That definately helped. 

It was a 67 f250 campers special. 300 6, borg t18 4spd, 4.10 dana 60 rear. I bought it to have a good truck and learn to work on it, but then it all went. So I figured if I was goin, Id go full. It was nice but just couldnt dial it in. Was broke and no daily vehicle, I did what I had to and traded for this chevy wrecker. Ill find pics of the 67. I painted the engine to the pumpkin, black with ford blue highlights (covers, bolts, casting marks, etc.). Id buy it back if I get back on my feet. 

This 74 chevy Im fixin up piece by piece. Redoing the gauges now. Guy made some questionable choices, 3spd sag trans with a $600 hurst kit on it. Some peoples kids I guess. I plan on changin this chevy wrecker little by little

Chico. maybe take the homemade wrecker off and change it to a fifth wheel setup. Always a demand for those, sorry I have seen hundreds of homemade old school wreckers. Very few are quality, most are junk that will get someone hurt. Now, again not all are junk.. But the vast majority are and there are plenty of them sitting around. Take my comments as constructive and not knocking your truck. Might be good for pulling engines or  junk moving vehicles around the lot. Brutally Honest that's about it....

Oh Im not gettin back into the towin business. Its my daily driver. Ill deck it in rough cut, drop the boom flat, welder, vise, generator, compressors on the engine, work bench on the side, and still be able to use it as a wrecker for scrap or city jobs. If it was valuble, I wasnt changing it. Its not, so itll be a great work truck. Winch is new, everything works great, Ill make a lot of money with it

• 1 month later...

Slowly fixing the last guys "repairs." Little by little Im changin her but I figured Id toss a few pics up. Im focused more on the mechanics right now. Ill deal with the 3 spd and cholo wheel later. Wasnt my favorite, but shes grown on me like the clap and now Im ok with the unique way the last guy did things

20200607_144728.jpg

20200716_200403.jpg

20200615_111824.jpg

• Like 1