Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

1984 Super Cradle

TowZone

Actually if it did, it never showed it during the 18 months I drove it. We'll it may have only been on there for about a year. It was lighted so it could be seen at night. A company that made them for cabs made it. I honestly didn't care much for it, but it was creative. Sure, got a laugh from other Tow Companies!

Wow does that pic bring back fond memories !!! My dad had bought one new in 84 ( I was 4 at the time ) and ran it for years. He always said it was his favorite little truck. Although He took it out of service around 91 or 92 I want to say it was 98 or 99 when dad finally decided to get rid of it and had the guys in the shop scrap it out. I remember it was one of the very few times I saw my father shed tears. i spent most of my childhood in the passenger seat of that truck. Thank you for posting it ! It brought me on a great trip down memory lane.😊

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

Wow Mason Dixon.  That guy was a trip.  I remember being with dad when he would stop and talk at the gas station.  Yes the billboard was very unique. 

There was another company in Louisville that ran a fleet of those.  Charlie's Wrecker Service they sold out in 1995 after Charlie McClellan was in business for 50 years.  He had several of them in the fleet.  Great man and great company when he owned it. He was a co-founder of the Towing and Recovey Association of Kentucky.  I wish I had photos of them.

Nick Schade

Tony's Wrecker Service

Louisville, KY

I do not recall Charlies having a Super Cradle though I do recall they had several Early Cradles. There was one that sat in front or the Gulf Station on Poplar Level for years. I also know where one is in near showroom condition. I check on it from time to time and let the owner know I would like to retire it to the Towing Museum when he retires. If he outlasts me I sure home someone gives it a good home. This one pictured died in an Alley behind a business and was hauled away as scrap. I thought about saving it, but the only think left was the boom. The rest needed far too much work.

• 2 months later...