Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Wanted: Vulcan 896/897 Tilt Cylinder

ESC

I am in need of a Vulcan 896/897 wheel lift tilt cylinder and pins.  Our cylinder is damaged and not able to be rebuilt.  I am in the market for new, or remanufactured.  Possibly open to used that I can have rebuilt locally.  My local Miller dealer is getting me prices now, but I know retail price.  Just hoping someone might have some old stock out there for a more affordable price.

Edited by ESC

store_21169_logo_image_1613770811.png

• 2 weeks later...

I Thought I may have found one for you from a guy in town here that runs nothing but Vulcan equipment. But it turns out it is from an 894 Which if memory serves right is the 10 ton model. The 896/897's were 12 ton units. Another guy showed me the only one He has for the 896  and it is still on the unit, has been out in the weeds for years and the piston is very pitted and crusty. He still wants $500 for it... I told him he was out of his mind. I will keep a look out for you around here because almost everyone around here has Vulcan gear. I should be able to come up with one that can be rebuilt.  

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

I Thought I may have found one for you from a guy in town here that runs nothing but Vulcan equipment. But it turns out it is from an 894 Which if memory serves right is the 10 ton model. The 896/897's were 12 ton units. Another guy showed me the only one He has for the 896  and it is still on the unit, has been out in the weeds for years and the piston is very pitted and crusty. He still wants $500 for it... I told him he was out of his mind. I will keep a look out for you around here because almost everyone around here has Vulcan gear. I should be able to come up with one that can be rebuilt.  

Much appreciated. I ended up ordering one through a local dealer. $2100 with new pins shipped to me. It should be here this week. For such a little cylinder it sure carries a salty price tag. I appreciate the effort though.

And yes, the 896 is the 12 ton and uses the same piston as the 897.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/4/2020 at 8:43 PM, GRUMPS The Towman said:

Ok sorry I couldnt be of any help. For that price it better be gold plated... WOW

Ha, I thought exactly the same thing!   It is crazy overvalued, but the truck is a paperweight without it, so you know the deal.  We had to pull the trigger and get it coming.    Typically we have them rebuilt, but this one had some damage on the inside that our builder recommended not rebuilding this one.  I sort of figured 800-1000, but was really shocked when i found out it was over double that.  Our local dealer helped us out as much as they could on it, which I am grateful for.    I had hoped that someone here might have a new old stock one laying around or something, but what can you do.   Thanks for your effort!

• Thanks 1

I am still astounded at the price tag on that. Like you said the truck is useless without it and the manufacturers know it. Just one of those deals where they know they have you by the short n curly ones. Hoping it goes back together easy and gets back on line to earn its keep for you. Good luck  

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

I am still astounded at the price tag on that. Like you said the truck is useless without it and the manufacturers know it. Just one of those deals where they know they have you by the short n curly ones. Hoping it goes back together easy and gets back on line to earn its keep for you. Good luck  

The worst part is we don’t use the truck much. We are a light duty company and I do a lot of our wrecker work with our two Dodge 5500 MPL40s. We got this truck about 6-7 years ago for a fair price. We use it here and there as needed. It’s an animal but it’s old and slow. She’s paid for herself over and over so we keep it around for those cases where we need a little more muscle. Time to reinvest a bit into it in hopes that we get some work with it soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...