Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Van Fill with Food Donations Towed "$400 Charges"

Business owner cries foul after city tows van filled with food donations

He couldn’t believe it.

Conor Joerin, owner of Bloor West eatery Sugo, was loading his van with food and groceries Monday afternoon when the unthinkable happened.

Carrying his final load, he returned to find his van on the back of a city-contracted tow truck.

“I was like… come on guys,” he said in an interview with the Toronto Sun on Tuesday.

Joerin, like many business owners, is doing what he can to ride out COVID-19.

Opting to close-up shop, he’s donating Sugo’s remaining food stocks rather than letting it rot in his walk-in coolers.

“We’ve been dropping off groceries to single mothers in the neighborhood, families with kids who need supplies,” he said.

That’s how he spent Monday afternoon, his van left curbside next to his restaurant.

Joerin heard the city was relaxing parking rules, so leaving his van a few extra minutes past 4 p.m. wasn’t a worry.

“I got caught up inside locking up,” he recalled.

“They have rush hour parking between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m., but what rush hour? They just told the entire country to stay home.

“There is no rush hour.”

RESOURCE LINK

A Source States: An Investigation has been opened into the towing incident during an ordered shut down.

Torontarded! When that city should act, it sits and thinks. When it should sit and think, it acts out of panic. Sad

Business owner cries foul after city tows van filled with food donations

He couldn’t believe it.

Conor Joerin, owner of Bloor West eatery Sugo, was loading his van with food and groceries Monday afternoon when the unthinkable happened.

Carrying his final load, he returned to find his van on the back of a city-contracted tow truck.

“I was like… come on guys,” he said in an interview with the Toronto Sun on Tuesday.

Joerin, like many business owners, is doing what he can to ride out COVID-19.

Opting to close-up shop, he’s donating Sugo’s remaining food stocks rather than letting it rot in his walk-in coolers.

“We’ve been dropping off groceries to single mothers in the neighborhood, families with kids who need supplies,” he said.

That’s how he spent Monday afternoon, his van left curbside next to his restaurant.

Joerin heard the city was relaxing parking rules, so leaving his van a few extra minutes past 4 p.m. wasn’t a worry.

“I got caught up inside locking up,” he recalled.

“They have rush hour parking between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m., but what rush hour? They just told the entire country to stay home.

“There is no rush hour.”

RESOURCE LINK

A Source States: An Investigation has been opened into the towing incident during an ordered shut down.

Sent from my SM-T710 using TowForce mobile app

Tell Me what you're doing and if you can provide proof to verify that is what you're doing. Then of course we want to help the community as well. If I find out later you told I'm going to be at your business letting everyone know what you did. Just a Sign on the Back of the Tow Truck at Lunch Time for a couple of days would be my vindication. Even though it may cost me in lost revenue the lost of revenue for the company that lied will be much greater then paying for the tow or drop fee. Agree or Disagree?  Maybe you think I should just let it go, Dad does and he's Old School.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm agree with Dat. These are difficult times where the industry's reputation is going to take a HUGE beating over stories )just like these) where towers just had to get that impound or toss a quick boot. I too am really old school, yet I believe that picking one's battles that are up-front lives up to that, "Do unto others", karma. People are going to lie and be sure their going to try and manipulate. If you're the tower and the car yotu've towed was dropping off groceries to a housebound grandma, sometimes having a bit of heart lends to a much better feeling within the community INSTEAD of getting punch in the face by some cocky reporter who seems to be taking you on in-front of the entire community.     R.

Randall C. Resch