Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tower Down 03.22.20 (FL)

TowNews

Tow truck driver tossed from truck, killed after hitting car

TAMPA, Fla. — (AP) — A tow truck driver was thrown from his vehicle and killed after crashing into a disabled car Sunday night on Interstate 75 near Tampa, the Florida Highway Patrol said.

Jason Lee Everitt was driving near the U.S. 301 overpass when he he hit a car on the highway's outside shoulder and struck a guardrail. The truck overturned down an embankment and Everitt was thrown from the vehicle, troopers said in an accident report.

Everitt died at the scene, authorities said. He was a driver for Sunstate Wrecker Services, according to the report.

RESOURCE LINK

Tow truck driver killed after crashing into disabled car on I-75 in Tampa, troopers say

TAMPA — A 36-year-old tow truck driver died Sunday after crashing into a disabled car on Interstate 75, authorities said.

Jason Lee Everitt of Thonotosassa was driving a 2017 International tow truck south on I-75 near the U.S. 301 overpass about 11 p.m. when he struck a 2006 Chevy Cobalt parked on the outside shoulder, according to the Florida Highway Patrol. After hitting the Chevy, the tow truck struck the guardrail and overturned down an embankment.

Everitt, who was not wearing a seatbelt, was thrown from the tow truck, troopers said. The truck came to rest on the grassy shoulder of U.S. 301. Everitt died at the scene.

The driver and passenger in the Chevy, 19-year-old Kiel Williams of North Port and 21-year-old Jacqueline Beech of Tampa, were not injured.

Everitt was a driver for Sunstate Wrecker Services and was on the way to help another motorist when the crash happened, said Sgt. Steve Gaskins, a spokesman for the Highway Patrol.

RESOURCE LINK

My heartfelt condolences to Jason and his family, friends, Sunstate/B & D Towing and coworkers.  I am working on the details for a Tow Truck  Funeral Procession and should have some more info hopefully by Wednesday.  Please everyone be safe, try to remember to wear your seatbelt (sometimes they don't help BUT..)  and if you have any questions call me at 727-444-3911 or text  to 727-410-4911.  Ginger @ Nationwide Towing Palm Harbor, Fl

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

... "Sometimes they don't help" ? ? ? ? ?  I didn't see that written in the owner's manual. I personally believe that seatbelts save lives. And now, many year's later as a retired police officer, I remember wearing a seatbelt every time I drove a patrol car; the belt was a tactical challenge, but I'd take my chances being killed with a seatbelt on versus not wearing a seatbelt at all. I too send my heartfelt condolences Jason's family, his company, and everyone who knew Jason, but wearing seatbelts is not only is state law, but a choice that demonstrates survival data that saves lives. In an incredibally dangerous industry where more safety is better ... I'll do everything to increase my odds of making it to the next day.

Thank you Ginger for arranging a procession for Jason. I'm hoping there is a substantial turn-out in his honor. While I can't be there in person, Christine and I are there in-spirit.     R.

Edited by rreschran
  • Like 1

Randall C. Resch

Randall,

I do agree with wearing a seatbelt 100%, I do advocate it as well, because more often than not, the usage does save lives and it is the law.  AND YES I WEAR MY ALL THE TIME.  BUT I was thinking about a tow operator friend of mine who was hit by a rock hauler while in his tow truck, about 35 years ago and had he had his seatbelt on he would not have survived the impact.  Instead he was thrown over to the passenger side and yes hit his head severely and was in a coma (i don't remember if it was doctor induced or not) but by the grace of God the swelling of his brain reduced and he made a full recovery !    6 weeks later he was back in a tow truck and now he has moved into the locksmith end of the auto industry.  I typed my thoughts out loud, not a wise move.

In this accident from what i am aware of the seatbelt sadly would of not helped.

Your kind heartfelt condolences I will pass on. Thank you.  I spent some time on the phone talking to Jason's family tonight and in addition to the procession I am working on a few other things to help.  I too am hoping for a substantial turn-out in Jason's honor, there are a lot of phone calls & decisions to make.  And of course keeping in mind the health and safety of everyone, due to the C-virus, the procession date is not yet decided.  Your's and Christine's spirit will be definitely felt--- thank you so much. 

It is always my gift to the family and to the company of our fallen brother that i lovingly arrange these processions.  I am humbled to do this for them and my brotherhood.  

take care & be safe, g

• Like 2

Hi Ginger ... year's ago, (me) as a young San Diego police officer, rolled-up on a VW bug that hit a 4x4 Toyota pickup head-on at 65-mph in one of those shitty, socked-in, foggy nights. Three college girls in the VW were unrestrained. At the moment of impact, the very large girl riding in the back seat unrestrained, was forced bodily-forward into the front seat girls, crushing them both into the dash and windshield. The bug overturned and I happened upon the wreck seconds after impact. I remember screaming, "cover now", while lying stomach down in-traffic lanes and reaching through the drivers-side window hoping to keep the young woman's airway clear. I watched her gasp for air and bleeding extensively from her face for what seemed to be an eternity as fire and paramedics were approaching. Unfortunately, she took her last gasp with me holding her head in full traction. I'll NEVER ... EVER forget the feeling of helplessness at the moment she passed away. The two other girls were already gone.

My memories of that double DUI, triple fatal comes to haunt me every time I read about seatbelt incidents. You and I agree that they don't save all lives all the time and not in all instances, yet, you and I understand enough to know their value of their added safety, especially in the line-of-work we do. Please note that my post wasn't to find fault, but, to help send a heartfelt message to other towers that not wearing seatbelts is very much like working the white-line on the highway ... a conscious decision. And, to that I'll add, as many as 27x other tow operators have been killed in similar crashes where they were ejected because seatbelts weren't worn. And yes, there are several operator fatalities where they reportedly had seatbelts on, but, lost their lives ... call it a, "Game of Odds".

God Bless you Ginger for your kind, loving soul and helping to support Jason's Family and his company. The world needs more people like you and I'm proud to call you my friend and fellow tower.        R.

Edited by rreschran
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Randall C. Resch

Ginger....please convey our sincere condolences to Jasons family, friends and co workers  at Sunstate towing services ...

From your fellow towers  in the UK and Europe......our thoughts and prayers go to them all 

It is a proven fact ...wearing seatbelts DOES  save more lives .....all towers please buckle up ....I know it is an inconvenience sometimes ...but buckle up ....

Guys and gals ....Pay attention to Randall......  he is better placed than any of us.....to give advice ...that is a gut wrenching experience he went through and I take my hat off to you Randall for sharing ...

During my career ...being on police contracts for over 40 years ...I too have attended.numerous fatalities and serious incidents....and on occasions, lives could have been saved if seat belts were worn..... drivers and passengers alike....

Be safe and well out there....

John.

Edited by mushspeed