Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Anyone hear of Honk?

TowZone

01-08-15: Hartstowing Wrote,

its an app where company's bid on tows and roadside?  any one have any experiences?

Jef said:

Their site http://www.honkforhelp.com/
. http://time.com/3608307/honk-urgently-a ... ssistance/

"Brundage says with Honk, a tow would cost the base price of $49 and then perhaps $5 per mile, depending on where the breakdown happens."

So it's the newest motor club to take money out of our pockets. With prices like that, every guy with a pickup truck and u haul dolly will be making buku bucks.

someotherplace said:

Today's business model:

1. Find ways to exploit the work that others do
2. ???
3. Profit!

Richard

Carl4tow said:

they call me all the time I'm not driving 20 miles to do a jump start for 50 dollars and according to there app the customer can see where I'm at I don't think so I don't have gps on my truck or phone LOL. the other day got a call to deliever a tire to the customer.

Vernsofficerep said:

I downloaded the app just to see....$95 for a 2 mile tow in our area. I don't see many customer's being willing to pay that.

RandyR said:

Honk automated called with a local tire change.  "Would you like to bid on this job?"  I hung up.  Honk real person called.  Quoted $90 on a CC to go change the tire.  They paid up front.  At the car I asked the customer what they charged him and was told $95.   They didn't make any money off that one!!  

Honk said:

Hello, everyone! So I actually work for HONK and I'd like to clear a few things.

Jef: We aren't here to take any of your hard-earned money. We always pay you your stated towing & roadside rates, and partnership with us is completely free

someotherplace: We are not interested in exploiting the work of others, and we are very appreciative of all of our partners. To show how much we appreciate you, we pay you your stated rates. Our number one priority is getting our customers off the road quickly and safely, as I'm sure is your priority. Again, partnership with us is completely free -- all we do is send you more business

carl4tow: First, I'd like to apologize for the calls you're receiving that are so far from you. Our system is designed to only call local operators, but when local operators are unavailable, we reach out farther, always trying to get our customer to safety, no matter what it takes. Second, many of our partners actually do have GPS on their trucks, so our website is not incorrect in this regard. Third, we don't offer tire delivery service, so the call you received was probably for a tire change. I know the automated system can be unclear, but we work on improving it every single day, and you'll always speak with a live HONK representative before any roadside job.

vernsofficerep: First of all, thank you for downloading our app! I understand that this may seem like a high price. All of our prices are based on state-wide data on average tow prices that we've collected all over the country. Luckily with our app, the price you see is the price you get, and we guarantee the fastest ETA's to get you off the road as quickly as possible. Obviously, you're not obligated at all to use the service, but we promise to take care of you if you do.

RandyR: I'd like to personally thank you for doing that tire service for us! We are a nationwide company, so we only make a small margin on each job, but we do thousands of jobs all over the country every single day, and that's what pays our bills

Just so you all know, I'm not here on official business. I was only hired a couple of months ago, and I wouldn't be working for HONK if I didn't think they were a good company. We're looking to standardize an industry that, frankly, needs a bit of standardization. A consumer that wants a service as simple as, say, a lockout, will get quotes anywhere from $15-$250 for the exact same service. Ludicrous! We aim to get stranded motorists the help they need ASAP, at pricing that is standardized and fair. More importantly for you, we always pay you your stated rates, and I know that other motor clubs can't say the same thing. Our partners tell us every day how they prefer working with us to AAA and other clubs, who take huge cuts of their pay. We promise to never do that, and you'll always know exactly how much we're paying you before you even leave your shop.

If you have any other questions I'd love to answer them. I promise I won't tell the guys over here. I just genuinely believe in HONK, in affordable towing & roadside assistance, and in paying you guys exactly what you think is fair. Everything you say here is between you and me

someotherplace said:

Welcome to tow411,

I think you'll find that any time a middleman type company comes into the towing game, it will be met with a large degree of suspicion by an industry of service providers that are leery of the latest company trying to get into their pocket. So regardless of how good your intentions are, that will be the hill you will have to climb.

Here's something else to think about. Does Honk vet the providers in any way at all? What is your liability exposure in the event you send a provider out to do a job and there's damage, injury, or worse? Not all providers are created equal and you may find that while MANY tow companies and operators are 100% legit, professional, and trustworthy people that are above board in all respects - there are also a lot of fly-by-night shady operators with junk trucks, inadequate or no insurance, and very poor skills/judgement.

Richard

newmantowing said:

I attempted to sign up today for the ISP program and after reading there contract I could have swore I read it some where previously, oh I had when I signed with the evil empire. You are responsible for any and all alleged claims, honk will hold any monies owed to the ISP until the claim is settled. There contract also goes on to say they will pay "at least once a month" but not on a set schedule. Also have to fill out a rate sheet which from reading seems they hold you to because there is another paragraph that says any further charges must go through honk and be pre approved before you can charge and if they catch you charging the customer for any money other than agreed price quote they will deduct from your monthly check. So when some one says they are stuck in there yard right off the drive way and your rate sheet says 75$ for a basic winch out and you arrive to find the car 75 yards off the right way or down an embankment and you plan to charge more, well you have to call and get permission? Not sure about most people but I like to get paid when I finish the job unless I can drive to your office with in 20 mins and speak with you face to face. As well I don't have time to get permission for what I can charge for the work me and my guys with my trucks do. And I also hate when people dangle that carrot in my face in the terms of with holding my monies for any reason.

someotherpkace said:

Helloooo, hellooooo, Honk, are you there?

Guess that vetting and liability question scared them away.

Richard

Old Tow said:

I tried to fill out their provider app, and everytime I clicked on next, it took me right back to the beginning with all zeros where I had put info before.....five tries is enough for me ???    sick.gif

newmanstowing said:

I found this out about two weeks ago. I was called back in March by honk to unlock a truck, quoted $95. Sunday afternoon 20 miles from where I was. They accepted and I unlocked the truck. The guy was a little snide and short but I figured he was locked out and aggravated. Fast forward two weeks ago and the same guy and truck comes by the BBQ house next to me. I strike up a conversation with him in regards to remembering him from the unlock. I made mention of him being grumpy that day and his reply was "he'll yeah u charged me $140 to get in my car". I had to explain to him how that worked and also pulled up my emails from that day and showed him where they paid me. I say that to say this be careful because that guy said before our conversation the other day he would not tell anyone about me due to that call when I only charged $5 more for a c/c payment than my normal charge. So they grossed more than me and potentially lost me calls. There was also a cancelation/goa payment issue that they shafted me on also but that didn't hurt near as much as turning a local customer against me.

Okiebryan said:

You don't want them. They drive up Adwords costs in your market and screw the customer by charging more than you do and making money on the difference. Their automated robocall never works right, and you cannot tell it to hang on while you finish with another customer. Their business model needs to die.

Borotow said:

I agree, they are a pain in my ass. At the minimum  we get 6 calls a week, all with customers 30-75 miles away. We just hang up. 
Al Campbell
Boro Collision & Towing
WreckMaster 67A

RodVT said:
I don't talk to machines, but the stinking robot does leave messages.
wp479e6008_05_06.jpg

RodVT said:
I just got a voicemail from Honk that said they are starting a new program to get leads from us! "closed overnight? motorist too far away? Don't have the right equipment? Send these calls to Honk..."

I do a LOT of referring to local competitors, but there is no way on earth I will send calls to a company that is trying to suck up my retail business.
wp479e6008_05_06.jpg

occupant272 said:
I'll say this, I do roadside only at this time because I don't have a wrecker or rollback, but if they want to pay me ten bucks for referrals (which is their stated rate) for tows that I can't do, and companies I try to partner with can't do, then yes, they can have that overflow. I've been "partnering" with three tow companies for the past year and two of them have stopped answering their phones and their trucks and drivers are nowhere to be found. The other company is always busy, but at least they answer the phone and say so.

Google has been working out for us very well. We renew our CL ads regularly and keep our Places listing up to date. We are on page one for most search parameters (excluding Columbus itself and areas south) like "roadside westerville ohio" or "jump start worthington ohio" and it doesn't cost us a thing to maintain that, just keep answering the phone and doing what we can.
Alan Moore - Westerville, OH
TOAD Towing & Roadside Assistance

thread-reply.png

We gave them a fair try... they are annoying.  Did 5 or 6 calls for them.... set our rates all the way up on their sliding scale.  $95 hook + $4 per mile.  They pay right away after the job as they email a credit card direct to me.   A few months ago we did a job for them that we quoted $375 for a short tow, and they accepted.  I thought for sure they wouldnt pay it, but sure enough the credit card came over and went through just fine.  Personally, Im not a fan of them, but ill gladly take their money if they pay a reasonable rate of $375..... ha.

store_21169_logo_image_1613770811.png

• 4 months later...

Two years later I'm still getting more road service (read, jump starts and lockouts and tire changes) business from Honk than from any other motor club. They do allow you to set your rates, and they may not call often or take the bid often but at least when they do, it is for acceptable rates. The other motor club still call me, but they don't want to pay up front so they get declined. Honk I can bill for and receive within minutes of call competition.

Archived