Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

A Friend Called Today!

Said He Had Not Heard from me in over week. Wondered what I had been doing during this COVID-19 outbreak.

After about a minute of silence, I said ---- DUH, I've been working. Some of us still have to get up and get busy.

Fact is as tow operators we have a job to do. Regardless if we're towing or working on our equipment as well as vehicles in our shop. While we have extended shop hours and our two mechanics are splitting shifts cause they have children at home. We became flexible the first day, how bout you?

I see Light Duty Only Companies such as ours complaining about few tows. Since we have been working on adding a Medium or Heavy Duty I have to ask if you have Heavies are you busy. Seems like big trucks are still on the road, our trash trucks are still running. I know they all break down. Do you have one or more Heavy Duty Units Running Daily or are you also slow? One of our local companies has parked his Heavies and we don't know why.

Are you working with your employees that have children at home because school is out. We got on this right away and we wrote down our COVID-19 Policy. This includes no riders and the customers have been understanding as they don't want to be in a close cab either. If the situation requires then we have made an exception twice since this started. We have to adjust and if a driver does not want to transport passengers they will not be forced. A competitor Fired one of his better drivers because he refused to transport passengers and had to adjust his schedule to care for a young child at home. WE hired him Monday and he gets couple of hours in the morning to wait for his girlfriend to get home. This isn't easy for many and just because I don't have a family does not mean I can't pick up the slack for those who do. Can you relate or would you have Fired this employee?

If your competitor fired this man for those reasons then they did him a favor. Your new operator did not need to be working for a company like that. The way I see it If he is a good operator then you scored on their stupidity. I dont have any employee issues being just my partner and I but I certainly applaud you and any other reputable companies that are willing to work with your employees schedules to ease their burdens at home. Your operators are your lifeblood. Without them your business is nothing more than a yard full of expensive trucks and equipment. Take good care of your men and they will return the favor.

• Like 2

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

We as a nation are headed into uncharted waters on this situation. I applaud you for putting people first. Those being your team. 

This situation is going to devastate a vast amount of small business entities, I fear. I hope I am wrong. I pray that financial institutions do the right thing and work with small business by allowing forbearance through this crisis. 

Edited by goodmichael
  • Like 1

It is going to be tight for us. It already is. Work around here has slowed drastically. We are used to the up and down swings being a college city but this is like never before. I can say for sure that my plans of buying another truck this year are right out the window for now. We are just gonna batten down the hatches and try to ride this out. I wish all my fellow owners the best during these tough times. Do all you can to take good care of your crews.This too will pass. Good luck all!!

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE