Quantcast
  • Signup for TowForce

Sign in to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

rreschran

Re: Do You Charge for Mud-Clean-Up After ? ? ?

Question

This was a fun conversation where a new tow owner called today asking if he could charge for the two-hours spent after an extreme-winch, off-road, mud clean-up? Now, keep in-mind that he responded to a private call to winch some guys from the mud, and then got stuck himself. While I have my own thoughts about this, what would do you do after-the-fact, when every nook and cranny on your truck's undercarriage is coated with thick ooze? Do you / can you charge for it, or, is it a cost of doing business? What do you think?    R.

Randall C. Resch

6 answers to this question

When we get a call for a vehicle off the road in the mud , we quote the customer an hourly rate. The rate is figured so the time spent cleaning the truck when it returns from the call is covered. If some one does not figure that time cleaning the truck into the rate, then I would say you have to consider that a cost of doing business. If the job sounds like it is going to be a really nasty one to get to, we will also tell the customer this may be a two truck job and quote them accordingly. If it sounds like it is going to be a nasty job we will go out and look at the job  first, then quote the customer accordingly. We take our pick up truck to go look at the job and do not charge to go and look at it.

Yes it is an additional charge.  The recovery apparatus needs to be put back into call out ready status for the next call.  The operator(s) have to communicate any additional charges up front as a part of customer service. 

Same scenario with a rollback.  Cleaning off a deck is charged out to the vehicle that leaked all over it.  And yes disposing of the fluids properly.  You can't tow a totalled wreck off interstate then go pick up the Lincoln out of the garage in the aggregate driveway.  That will not got well.  

Nick Schade

Tony's Wrecker Service

Louisville, KY

I too add equipment cleaning charges when needed. It is just another facet and cost of business. 

There are Tow Truck Drivers, Then There is Towing and Recovery operators...... Which one are you??🤨

Yes it is per hour till done, all chains, truck and me included.

George - - Moore's BP
We'll see you on down the road

I also go out in a 4x4 vehicle and look at the job beforehand . If the customer does not like the price (and they usually don't) they are free to call one of the "cheapo" companies who haven't washed their trucks since day one anyway. I truly believe - You Get What You Pay For !!   🥰

I charge hourly as well.  I would get to the call and take a look.  Give them an idea on time frame and also let them know about an additional hour to clean the truck.  I would charge my normal recovery rates plus an hour labor to wash the truck.  We are $110/hour on a laborer to clean up.