Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Re: Using Rims for Rollover Recovery ? ? ? ?

Just for fun, we usually agree that there are many, many different ways to roll a vehicle over in light-duty classifications. In this weekend's class, several operators mentioned that they thread chain through a vehicle's rims for an anchor point due to ease and speed. While I personally don't like the idea, what method do you use to attach a recovery chain as the basis of your rollover rigging? It gets the job done, but couldn't a cracked aluminum rim result in a whiplash effect that results in loss of recovery advantage? What do you think?        R.

• Like 1

Randall C. Resch

Typically, I go to control arms, and i like to use endless loops in a lot of cases.  If there is sharp edges, or anything weird or heavy, I would use chain.  I have gone to a wheel here and there if it made sense.  The resistance is so little on a light duty job, that I would not be as concerned.  I wouldn't go to a wheel that had obvious damage either.

store_21169_logo_image_1613770811.png

I have run recovery straps, endless loops and such through a wheel in the past but my primary rigging point is control arms and such with chains. I personally have never been a fan of stringing a chain through a wheel even if the vehicle is a balled up mess. That vehicle is still going to go through a salvage auction ( if insured ) and someone might want those wheels. That is just the way I think about it. Our job is to recover and transport the vehicle without causing any further damage regardless of what condition it is in right? So, thats the credo I plan my rigging and recovery around.

• Like 1

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

Great answers guys ... I appreciate your comments for experienced and new towers alike.  While using rims for roll-overs is one of those, "easier", techniques, can it be done (?) sure, should rims be used, not so much.   R.

Randall C. Resch

I don't remember using rims for recovery on a rollover on light duty. I have used a rim to move vehicle out of  buried snow to get to a more suitable point of recovery. I usually use control arms, sub frame or the like.

George - - Moore's BP
We'll see you on down the road

A crash-compromised (or simply worn) ball joint would be a much bigger worry to me than a damaged wheel - you're hooked to what looks like a wheel in good condition, until the whole assembly - wheel/tire, rotor, hub, spindle - is flying at you under tension because the ball joints let go during the pull.  Easily a 75-100 lb missile.  In today's world of many vehicles with independent rear suspension, I'd say the risk is similar whether using a front OR rear wheel for the pull.  My opinion, anyway! :)

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Awww RIchard ... are you missing me in these moments of social distancing? Like working any rollover, operators use different techniques to get the job done. Mecahnically speaking, I don't know of any person or scientific entity that can dispell the rumor to not use a rim for a point of rigging. Your mentioning, "a crash-compromised ball joint", is one of the prime reasons I stay away from using rims. Towers say they use rims because of ease of attachment, or that it's easy to get a soft-loop into through the rim.  Technically speaking, when I'm teach rollovers to new drivers, I'll explain the possibility that impact and multi over-turns could cause damage to the ball joint fronts of butter-bars (to the rear) as well as causing cracks in the rims. Honestly, in 30-years of teaching rollover classes, we've experienced one instance where an aluminum rim broken during pull, and, one where  a Honda's front suspension pulled through. A closer examination of the Honda suspension showed that initial impact caused a break into the bolt mounts where a front strut was sheered. To make these examples happen, I let the experienced guys hook-up as they've learned creating living situations like those on-scene. Not to point fingers or put anyone on the spot ... nut, shit happens right?

Personally, I prefer the chain's hardened surface compared to soft-loops for the very reason that a soft-loop might find some cut-spot and compromise the roll in-progress. Richard, you're right about existing risk; either front or rear can pull-free. While it doesn't happen all the time, I believe the towers best defense is what George said, to find solid attachment using control arms or a frame-structure. And, when heavy-pull is initiated, start the pull slowly and watch that the attached locations remain solid. Initiate winch-in slowly so not to cause the attachment location to rip out or create a shock-load as the initial pull find's it center. The best rollovers are those where the end result is getting the casualty vehicle back on its wheels successfully and in a minimal amount of time. 

Best regards in continued health and safety.      R.

• Like 1

Randall C. Resch

On 3/21/2020 at 11:36 AM, rreschran said:

Awww RIchard ... are you missing me in these moments of social distancing?

Hah! Yes!!  LOL.. mostly was just looking for your input as it's obvious your on-scene experience is far greater than mine; I only worked wrecks for a relatively short while before going full-time PPI.  It seems my concern may be disproportionate to real-world statistics but if the chance for it to happen exists, that's enough for me.

Richard