Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

When is it done for?

TowZone

When is a Hi-Vis Safety Vest no longer useful and needs to be taken out of service/decommissioned?

While we continue to witness numerous tow operators who fail to put on their safety Hi-Vis vests/jackets. Some if those who follow the guidelines are wearing vests that look something like this one. (No this is not one of mine, I will did an old one out) I only keep one behind the seat if I am going to be getting dirty and other precautions are being taken. Though, I often end up getting a newer vest dirty because I forget to change it out.

Let's hear your input and see your dirty vests/jackets...

dirtyansivest.jpg

Ron, my guys are instructed to turn them in for a re-issue when they become 'overly soiled', I prefer them not to wash them. 

Right not I'm at $24.00 each to replace them, so it's not a big deal to have a dozen inventory to hand out.

The problem is to get them to do it.

They get accustomed to seeing it get progressively dirty.

(I'd bet Ron posted the Class2 as an example only. Frankly, I'm surprised he found an image of a soiled vest.)

Jeff Payne - Operator Services & Fleet Services Administrator

Statewide Wrecker Service, Inc - 263 Luxomni Road - Lilburn, GA 30047

SWS Logo 2015.JPG

Yes, after seeing images in different venues on the net of drivers wearing soiled vests. I just googled it and found this image. I chose not to post an image of a driver wearing a vest like this as someone may recognized that driver.

I get very upset with drivers who wear vests looking like that, not only for safety reasons but image as well. I pay for uniforms, t-shirts. hoodies, jackets, gloves, extra lights on trucks, have new equipment so they all have winch releases on passenger side, put 6 function remotes on all the carriers so they can operate the entire truck from a safe place, make them all have TIMS training and be WreckMaster certified and they go out and put on a 15.00 vest looking like that!

The cheapest form of protection (besides maybe a pair of gloves) I provide and you can't come and get a new one every couple months? 

DRIVES ME INSANE.... I think I have finally made my point though as I have not had to get very upset with any of them in quite some time.

“At the end of the day people won't remember what you said or did, they will remember how you made them feel.”

I wonder how long till this thread devolves into chastising lazy drivers who just cant seem to stay clean. And don't get me wrong, I don't want to do that, and sometimes it cant be avoided (getting dirty) but do we all know that driver that just has a certain way about their routine, the repetitive out-hook up-back in the truck routine where they just don't ever seem to care about their image? whenever I see a driver working a tow without gloves on......ugh. LOOK AT YOUR HANDS! lol....ok, sorry, don't want to be the member who does what I was just talking about, lets stay on topic Mike.....I guess im with Jefftow and for SURE Towman2 on this, the only way to stay on top of this is to have plenty on hand and do the best you can (herding cats) to watch the drivers and try to get them to swap them out In a timely fashion. Here's a question tho....which way do you go, do you buy the more affordable but less durable throw away type vests, or blow the few extra bucks for the more sturdly built heavier duty (and then perhaps more washable and reusable) vests with nicer zippers or buckles vs the light flimsy Velcro style? hmmm?

Looks like a typical rollback drivers vest... Wheel-Lift guys get to stay 10x cleaner!

I don't even know where my vest is at the moment. 

I have been stuck in a coat for 4 months!

Only Class 3 stuff on the highway for me... it is law, but I wear it to assure a payout when the time comes!

Archived