Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tower Down 02.07.20 (MO)

TowNews

UPDATE: Affordable Towing says Timothy J. Williams was out on the job last night when he was fatally struck by a driver near Springfield.

TW020720.png

NEAR SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- A tow truck driver was struck and killed Friday night on U.S. Highway 65.

Timothy J. Williams, 55, an employee with Affordable Towing, was out on the job when he was fatally struck by a driver.

Williams, who lived in Springfield, would have celebrated his birthday Saturday, according to a spokesperson from Affordable Towing.

The Missouri State Highway Patrol says the crash happened a few miles north of Springfield near Bluegrass Road around 9 p.m.

According to the Highway Patrol, a driver, identified as 27-year-old Christopher Rice, traveled off the roadway and reportedly struck Williams while he was standing next to another vehicle.

The Missouri State Highway Patrol reports 10 people have died from crashes this year in Troop D's service area, which covers most of southwest Missouri.

This is a developing story. Watch KY3 News at 6, 9 and 10 for more information on the crash.

RESOURCE LINK

REPORTS HAVE BEEN COMING IN ALL MORNING:

Pedestrian struck, killed on U.S. 65 north of Springfield

NEAR SPRINGFIELD, Mo. -- A pedestrian was struck and killed Friday night on Highway 65.

The Missouri State Highway Patrol says it happened a few miles north of Springfield near Bluegrass Road around 9 p.m.

The victim was identified as Timothy J. Williams, 55, of Springfield.

According to the Highway Patrol, a driver, identified as 27-year-old Christopher Rice, traveled off the roadway and struck s pedestrian standing next to another vehicle.

RESOURCE LINK

55-year-old Missouri man dies in pedestrian accident

GREENE COUNTY — One person died in an accident just after 8p.m. Friday in Greene County.

The Missouri State Highway Patrol reported a 2011 Volkswagen Jetta driven by Christopher J. Rice, 27, Buffalo, Mo., was northbound on U.S. 65 three miles north of Springfield.

The vehicle traveled off the road and struck a pedestrian identified as  Timothy J. Williams, 55, Springfield, who was standing next a 2018 Ram 5500. Williams was pronounced dead at the scene and transported to the Greene County Medical Examiner's office. 

As required by law, the driver was tested for alcohol. Authorities released no additional details late Friday.

RESOURCE LINK

Trucks Process in Vigil for Local Truck Driver

Late Saturday night, dozens of tow trucks flashed their lights in procession from Freedom City Church to the Battlefield Mall in memory of Timothy J. Williams.

Williams was struck and killed while on the job Friday night, just north of Springfield. He was a driver for Affordable Towing and lived in Springfield.

He would have turned 56 on Saturday.

According to the Missouri State Highway Patrol, Williams was helping a car stuck on highway 65 just north of Springfield when a driver swerved off the road and hit him.

RESOURCE LINK

Yes, the news media is taking a beating for their lack of reporting. It seems they used the police report to put together the article and did no research. But then I have been all morning searching for confirmation, as we do not send out "Tower Down" notifications until confirmation can be linked.

You can see on the KY3 FB page they are taking a beating on this one and should revise the story.

https://www.facebook.com/ky3news/

" The Missouri State Highway Patrol reported a 2011 Volkswagen Jetta driven by Christopher J. Rice, 27, Buffalo, Mo., was northbound on U.S. 65 three miles north of Springfield.
The vehicle traveled off the road and struck a pedestrian identified as Timothy J. Williams, 55, Springfield, who was standing next a 2018 Ram 5500. Williams was pronounced dead at the scene and transported to the Greene County Medical Examiner's office. "

Timothy J. Williams was employed by Affordable Towing, Springfield, MO.

Hi Guys ... Another news link CONFIRMS the death of the tow operator as mentioned by Ron's initial post.

Here's a second news article link:  https://ozarksindependent.com/2020/02/08/tow-truck-driver-struck-and-killed-on-highway-65/

My message is bound to make waves in the "over-sensitive" community, but there's a reality of what was reported and how it was reported.

While the news article mentions only a pedestrian being killed, I personally think there was enough information to believe it was a tow operator having read hundreds of accident investigations. I read the statements on the FB page and I don't necessarily agree what all the respondents are saying. And yes, this is a sensitive issue, but it does not negate the fact that the person killed was a pedestrian. I do like that FB respondents are sticking up for tow truck operators, but the news wasn't wrong in their reporting nor were they disrespecting the fact that the deceased was a tow operator. Like Ron said, I too don't like to make conclusions as to what I read in the news as we wait for an official notification. But, remember, when a tow operator is struck and killed on the highway or city streets, the deceased is referred to as, "pedestrian", as that's what the report calls for ... not that of, "tow operator". And, until the next of kin is notified, "pedestrian" is the typical reference that's used by law enforcement until the reporting officer make's further mention within the body of the investigation. I know this with certaintly having been a police accident investigator for five-years and have taken hundreds of accident reports. And, combine that info with the statement that reads, "standing next to a 2018 Dodge 5500", those are pretty good indicators that the incident was that of a tow operator. In most reporting accounts, the deceased was not driving a vehicle and was outside of his truck. When you exit a truck and go boots to the ground, you become a, "pedestrian worker". Most likely, the news simply reported the occurrance from the police log or blotter.      R.

Edited by rreschran

Randall C. Resch

No matter how he was described he was a member of first responders who put their lives on the Line every hour of everyday. May the lord bless him and comfort his family. This is becoming a more dangerous vocation every day. We are losing towers as fast as law enforcement. People drive too fast for conditions and are not paying any attention to what’s going on . The MOVE OvER Law needs to be enforced!

1 hour ago, Bob Berry said:

No matter how he was described he was a member of first responders who put their lives on the Line every hour of everyday. May the lord bless him and comfort his family. This is becoming a more dangerous vocation every day. We are losing towers as fast as law enforcement. People drive too fast for conditions and are not paying any attention to what’s going on . The MOVE OvER Law needs to be enforced!

We are losing operators at a rate 3-4 times as often as police and fire. That is from a report I read from 10 years ago though so I'm not sure of the current stats.

• Platinum Sponsor

My heart goes out to his family. I will keep Tim's family, friends, and his co-workers at Affordable Towing in my prayers. 

Contact: Doreen Aragona - Integrated Leasing - Office: 800-551-4854 Ext 20

Email: Doreen@integratedleasing.com  Cell 516-852-5740

integrated18.jpg

www.INTEGRATEDLEASING.COM