Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

FHP Trooper Shot & Killed (FL) "UPDATED"

TowNews

FHP trooper, gunman killed in police-involved shooting on I-95 near Stuart

Note: It is unclear if the Tow Truck was on scene at the time of the incident. Though, one would expect that would be the case as the suspect which was killed was said to be near the tow truck. In the images which are shown you can see the rollback bed is down. The covered troopers body is visible, We suspect the suspects body was still on scene as well.

A Florida Highway Patrol trooper and another man were killed along Interstate 95 near Stuart in what authorities described as a police-involved fatal shooting just north of Palm Beach in Martin County, at around 11:30 a.m., Wednesday.

“Trooper Bullock was assisting a disabled vehicle on I-95 northbound near mile marker 107, just south of Martin Highway, when the suspect who was with the disabled vehicle shot him, resulting in fatal injuries,” said Spaulding.

Officials said an off-duty Riviera Police officer who was driving by at the moment stopped and fatally shot the subject.

The Martin County Sheriff’s Department shut down both north and southbound lanes at mile marker 107. It was reopened to traffic at around 5:45 p.m.

MCSO: Man who shot and killed FHP trooper identified as Franklin Reed III

FHP020620.jpg

• Sad 1

Early reports say the trooper was responding to a tow truck driver who was having problems with the operator of the disabled vehicle.  The problem was the driver of the disabled vehicle did not want to pay for  the tow.. When the shooting started the tow driver ran for cover and was not hurt.    News is still waiting for the official briefing from FHP.

So sad and all over money.  Heaven help the towing community.

Edited by Flagfixer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How sad and fact is the tow truck driver in this story could have been any of us. But, I want to know how the cost of the service escalated at the pickup point and not at the drop point. We would not have been collecting charges at the scene and if the customer became agitated. Instead of continuing the  confrontation by calling for the police. We would just leave and leave them on the side of the road.What would that change in the real life scenario I do not know. But it would not have involved our company.

This story is eerily similar to the October 1934 shooting, ambush, double homicide in-which California tow operator Kenneth Ray Davis . Davis responded to tow a CHP impound when the vehicle's owner came out of the bushes, shot and killed Davis, and then engaged in a gun-battle with the CHP officer. The CHP officer, although mortally shot, was able to get off a couple of shot to wound the shooter before he died. The shooter ran to his home, but was later hunted and killed by a sheriff's possee. Not that towers have enough to be concerned with, there's always a possibility that someone will snap when confronted with having to pay. YodaBen's comment make perfect sense in whether or not leave or call the cops? I firmly believe that several past cases of tow operator death's by violence were the result of escalation. Christine and I send our prayers to FHP Officer Bullock who simply stepped into another psycho with a gun.     R.

Randall C. Resch

I believe that all tow operators need to watch a video on dealing with situations such as this one. All First and Emergency Responders are required to complete such training annually. That raises the level of knowledge and awareness which could save at least one life. These videos range from approaching a vehicle and it's occupants to dealing with an aggressive subject (customer). Even an active shooter situation.... How many companies provide active shooter training to their employees? This could be both at the business or roadside such as in the tragic event.

Follow up reports are a passing officer shot and killed the civilian shooter. Then a Firefighter with his medical response bag, had stopped during the shots fired pulled the officer back to his car where his body is seen. But sadly, it was too late.

This is a tragic event, but even more tragic is if we fail to learn anything from each and everyone of these events. I firmly believe such knowledge can save a life, tow companies need get a handle on this fast. These are not bar fights, this are not the disagreements of 20 years ago. We are now dealing with an increased level of mental illness. It doesn't take much to set off some of these people tow operators deal with. Not much different from what other service providers are experiencing. You can blame the gun, then it's a knife and then it's a J hook a bar off the truck. A bat out of the car and for the majority of tow operators they have no training or experience to deal with such a situation. Only a small number have weapon to defend themselves. Possibly we will get some video to explain more about this confrontation and what went wrong. We as an industry need that to understand how we can avoid a similar situation.

We go through training on this exact subject. Tow Zone is correct, it could be any kind of a weapon that could cause the driver to be badly hurt with anything. If it is a J Hook, chain, spreader bar, knife, ect. with proper training and use, the perpetrator can easily be dissarmed. Then jump in the truck and move a safe distance away and by all means then (and only then) call the proper authorities, but stay in the area so you can sign the complaint. DO NOT call the authorities in front of the customer as this will only excalate the perp's anger!

I carry a 9mm hand gun in my truck, and many people ask me why. They tell me I am only escalating the problem. Welllll I was a US Navy Seal for 12 years including during the Korean war. (I don't care what everyone says, KOREA WAS A WAR!) I hold a Brown Belt in Karate, a green belt (5kyu) in Judo,

and I can disarm most combatants, but NONE of the above ever taught me how too out run a 357 bullet, not even if I manage to get to my slow truck.

All that being said I must add that I feel that most ugly situations can be resolved without any physical confrontation through cool minds, tone of voice, and politeness (is that even a word?). I have observed in my 82 years of life that every once in a while some of us driver's have a "short fuse". If that's your case, you need to find a different line of work, preferably one that does NOT require dealing with the public ! 

Just the ramblings of an OLD Cowboy/Tow Truck Operater,  so PLEASE don't holler at me, dat ain't nice!!  🤠

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...