Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Box bed on a roll back frame

Guest Frank

I want a 4WD box truck. About 19000 gross.

They dont exist.

How easy is it to figure out if i can take off the roll back and mount a box?

I mean, as in, will the frame of the box match the vehicle frame? Or would it require a lot of cutting and welding?

I dont own the truck or box yet, just wondering what to look for or to avoid.

Thanks

What comes to mind is a F550 - 5500 chassis which has a 19,500 GVW and comes with 4wd running gear. There are box bodies built for these chassis of all sorts. You didnt mention sizes. if your looking to take say, an older 20' - 26' box and install it on a similar chassis as I mentioned there would be considerable fabrication required to install it. The rails wont line up and depending on the cab to axle length there may be a need to shorten or lengthen the truck frame as needed.

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

12 hours ago, GRUMPS The Towman said:

What comes to mind is a F550 - 5500 chassis which has a 19,500 GVW and comes with 4wd running gear. There are box bodies built for these chassis of all sorts. You didnt mention sizes. if your looking to take say, an older 20' - 26' box and install it on a similar chassis as I mentioned there would be considerable fabrication required to install it. The rails wont line up and depending on the cab to axle length there may be a need to shorten or lengthen the truck frame as needed.

First, for some reason they let me ask as a guest but i had to join to respond.

I need about a 16' box.

Are you saying i cant easily put a box on a rollback chassis?

The box frame and chassis frame wont line up?

I assumed all i needed was a rollback with 16' of frame behind the cab.

I would like to do this with only minor modifications.

Sounds like i would be better off going to a shop that mounts bodies and let them find a box.

A 16' box should mount up on anything from a 1 ton ( f350 - 3500 ) to a 4 - 5 ton ( f450/4500 - f550/5500 ) with little modification. As long as you have enough usable frame length. Most 16' boxes are built for these style chassis. ( think U-haul style trucks ). I misread your original question and was under the assumption you had a roll back truck that you were going to tear down and install a box body on it. If you go new cab/chassis then you should be able to find or order one at the length you need rather easily. Finding a used cab/chassis will be a bit tougher but I am sure they are out there. Buying a used roll back would be a pretty big expense to just tear off all those pricey components in my opinion.  An older $ 4.000 - $ 5.000 cab/chassis turns into a $ 10.000 - $ 15.000 ( and MUCH higher ) truck with a roll back body on it.

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

1 hour ago, GRUMPS The Towman said:

A 16' box should mount up on anything from a 1 ton ( f350 - 3500 ) to a 4 - 5 ton ( f450/4500 - f550/5500 ) with little modification. As long as you have enough usable frame length. Most 16' boxes are built for these style chassis. ( think U-haul style trucks ). I misread your original question and was under the assumption you had a roll back truck that you were going to tear down and install a box body on it. If you go new cab/chassis then you should be able to find or order one at the length you need rather easily. Finding a used cab/chassis will be a bit tougher but I am sure they are out there. Buying a used roll back would be a pretty big expense to just tear off all those pricey components in my opinion.  An older $ 4.000 - $ 5.000 cab/chassis turns into a $ 10.000 - $ 15.000 ( and MUCH higher ) truck with a roll back body on it.

You misunderstood my question, but you did answer it.

I do not have the box or rollback.

I was wondering if getting a rollback was a good idea since they can be found in 4WD.

I would then turn the truck into a cab and chassis and sell the rollback bed.

I just wanted to know if it was possible.

I realize paying for a rollback just to tear off the rollback body is silly, but i do not see much in 4WD 19,000 Gross box or cab and chassis and i see a lot of rollbacks in 4WD.

Thank you