Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

'What if I was dead?' Tow Truck Operator Struck 01.24.20 (GA)

TowForce

Peach County deputies searching for person who severely injured tow truck driver

Michael Howard says whoever hit him left him for dead on the side of the road.

FORT VALLEY, Ga. — A Fort Valley tow truck driver is asking for help finding the hit-and-run driver who hit him on I-75. The Peach County Sheriff's Office confirms that it happened January 24th near the Housers Mill Road exit. 13WMAZ talked to Michael Howard, who suffered serious injuries and wants the public's help.

Howard says he loves being a tow truck driver, but what happened along I-75 really shook him up. His one hope is that whoever hit him will come forward.

"What if I was laying there? What if I was dead?" Howard said. 

He has more questions than answers.

"I went to load the truck, got it loaded on my flatbed, I started to -- I always pay attention to the slow lane to make sure everybody is getting over," Howard said. 

Howard says he turned all his emergency lights on and even put on a reflective vest for safety. 

"Out of nowhere, I guess, they (the car) swerved from the middle lane or the fast lane, and swerved over to get on Housers Mill Road and struck me," Howard said. 

Howard suffered injuries to his hip, pelvis, and ankle.  

"I was thrown up under my tow truck, and I knew that I had to get out and get to safety, so I relocated my ankle the best that I could because my customer was in shock over there -- he couldn't move, he was in shock," Howard said. 

According to a crash report we obtained from the Peach County Sheriff's Office, Howard was sent to the hospital. The report said a witness told deputies that a "white car" hit Howard heading down I-75 south. 

"Whoever it is, I ask you to man up and come forward, take responsibility for what you did to me," Howard said. 

Right now, Howard is in a lot of pain, but he says he hopes this story reminds drivers to pay attention on the road.

"Slow down and move over, when you see the orange-and-white lights, the amber lights flashing, slow down and move over, please," Howard said. 

Howard says throughout this whole entire process, his company, Underwood Towing, has been very supportive in helping him get through this, and he is looking forward to getting back on his tow truck by mid-February.

RESOURCE LINK with video

My name is Michael Howard and on the night of Friday Jan 24th 2020 I was struck by a car on i75 while loading a vehicle on my tow truck. All we know is it was a white car. The cars mirror struck me in the face and the bumper struck my hip, fracturing my pelvis and my right ankle. Also, I have stitches in my face above my right eye and my forehead. As well as I have lacerations and bruises all over. This has been a very traumatic experience for me, my family and my employer.

With this post I'm trying to find out who hit me and left me for possible death, they had no idea if I was alive, possibly dying, Injured etc....

From what we know, it was a white sedan. the car will be missing the passenger side mirror and should have damage to the passenger side and the bumper. Please anyone with any information about this accident contact me or the local sheriff's department. This accident happened at the 142 Houser Mill rd exit on interstate 75 south.

Please if any knows anything please have sympathy and contact me thru Facebook or the Peach sheriff's department.

Also my number for contact is 4782354969.

20200125_095621.jpg

20200125_024458.jpg

20200125_034914.jpg

Glad to hear you're still among the living and able to tell your story of surviving the incident and the struggle to get back to the job. Keep us up to date on your recovery process, some of us are no longer on Facebook or at least not so much anymore......

• Like 1