Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

New Guy Here

Hello Everyone, I'm new the the forum, have been Light duty towing professionally for the last 5 years with both wreckers and flatbeds in Nova Scotia Canada, and before that, some tow experience from friends and family. Iv pulled wrenches in the automotive trade, and grew up in a family owned lumber mill , and worked on land based Drilling Rigs for a decade, so equipment, and mechanics and rigging are a nature to me. Iv always loved tow trucks, My uncle built up a 75 Chevy 1ton wrecker in the 80's, I thought it was the coolest thing in the world, with that 80's flash, graphics, Lots of Chrome and lights, lots of lights . Fast forward to now, iv had a hard go at getting my own tow truck, iv had 3, the first was a f350 flatbed with an aluminum Kilar deck, that was overweight if you sat on it, the second was a beautiful 1988 F-Superduty with a challenger twinline wrecker that the burnt down, and now I have a 1984 GMC Topkick equipped with a Jerr-Dan aluminium Deck and wheellift. Anyway my intentions are to start small on my own on the side and go from there, the truck is older , won't win any races, but is in good shape and reliable. So that is my intro, I also have a Beautiful wife and 2 Girls 10 and 6 , and they suport me through good and bad and are excited about this adventure. Looking forward to exchanging info, ideas and questions and learning with the great wealth Of knowledge and resources available in this forum. 

80024251_10221340242198538_6833721287844560896_o.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum. That is a beast of a truck you have there. Very good looking rig. What does it have for an engine/drive train? Back in the day, my father had one similar to yours (minus the sleeper)  that was Cat powered and a 2-speed rear if memory serves right. 

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

7 hours ago, GRUMPS The Towman said:

does it have for an engine/drive train? Back in the day, my father had one similar to yours (minus the sleeper)  that was Cat powered and a 2-speed rear if memory serves right. 

Yes very similar truck to your father's, V8 cat powered, 5 speed main and electric 2 speed rear. This truck is Juice brakes, disc on all 4 corners with a drum driveline park brake.

Edited by Topkickguy

Welcome, to be exact the old message board system broke in 2017 and a new system was created using a new provider. Technology has changed over the years and so has the software involved in creating message boards. With the apps they now work much like FB only for specific interests without the distractions. Content on message board are seen as being more professional and while many have not missed a beat. Few have all the features this new message board has incorporated to make it resemble the look a feel we were used too.

It was decided that a New Venue needed a Fresh New Name. A New Force in the Towing Industry was Born "TowForce". The schedule set was a 3 year build, since neither member profile or topics were compatible with the new system past members continue to receive invitation to join. Our Goal by the end of the year is 6000 members, more important are quality topics. We are seeing these everyday and I would like to Thank those that believed it was possible when some said the message board was dead. Is this what dead looks like. I Think Not...

• Like 2

I like Forums much better than the face book. Topics and threads don't get lost as easily, and are separated . Where the face book is just a jumbled mess. Iv been reading here every chance I get. Long live the Fourm and message boards

Edited by Topkickguy
  • Like 1

What I believe Moose is saying is there are many, many valuable discussions and information on this forum that is spearheading our industry's evolution as well as hundreds of years of combined experience and wisdom from professional operators from all around the world. Theres all walks of life here from the small, 1 or 2 truck companies ( such as myself ) to larger companies with the biggest, baddest rigs out there. As well as some towing and recovery hall of fame members. If its towing and recovery related, it is here at towforce.

• Like 3

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

• 6 months later...

Hello again, what a year this has turned out to be, with covid 19 around and some health issues and surgery I'm just starting to get back around. My truck has basically been stationary since March, and now needs some minor love for inspection, but I'm getting better and at the same time my truck is getting better too. Anyway just thought I'd check in again and say hello, hoping by The end of August to be back in the seat again doing what I love to do for a living. 

IMG_20200518_154106.thumb.jpg.47b15b4b92a74683f9b867bc1e50ac44.jpg

• Like 1