Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Low Profile Vehicles

Just wondering, is it me or for you light duty towers like myself, is there an increase in low profile vehicles these days and if so, do you charge extra?  It seems like 85% of the vehicles I tow these days are low to the ground and I have to use ramps to load them so as to protect the front bumper.  Ramps are very expensive and so I just use a couple of 2X6 boards.  I would like some opinions on how you guys feel about low profile tows.  Do you think it is just part of the hook up or should we charge more because of the ramps we have to use?  Personally I charge an extra fee for using the ramps because it is a lot of liability if we cause any damage to that front bumper.  As I once found out the hard way, front bumpers can be pretty expensive.

We are located in a rather high end area with alot of BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Tesla, etc.  We have seen issues with lower and lower cars over the years.  In 2013 we ordered a Hino 258ALP with the Jerrdan XLP deck and added the dovetail feature as well.  The truck has air suspension, so with the bags dumped and the low bed angle we don't usually have any issues.  I recently had a low Audi with 4 flat tires that I drove right up the bed without a worry.   We don't typically charge any extra.  But its all figured into our towing rates.  We are not the cheap guy in town.   But a good set of ramps, or nicely cut boards and a winch remote will make things super fast an easy for you.

store_21169_logo_image_1613770811.png

• 4 weeks later...

As it regards defending one's company against damage lawsuits to lowered cars and exotics, I was twice where owners falsely claimed damage to their lowered cars.  At the onset of the transport request, I'd take pictures and make notes as to, "prior to tow", damages are already visible., and then have the owner sign the visual inventory. You can bet that most low-profile cars and exotics have experienced underside damage having been stuffed into some roadway dip or that of entering someone's driveway. For the court process, and in the lowered car cases I won, I explained to judges that the vehicles allegedly damaged were lowered by the vehicle’s owner, NOT lowered by the factory, and damages weren't caused as the result of loading. I made a complete photo presentation of the pre-existing damages as well as explaining the process used to load a lowered car. If the vehicle was factory lowered like a Ferrari, Porsche, or Lamborghini etc, not that of a lowered Lexus, Honda or other street-machine, my presentation was factual, honest and detailed to have the court accept my explanation that I did everything possible to keep from damaging an already damaged vehicle. Documentation and photos is key prior-to any load or transport of lowered, custom, or exotic vehicle.      R.

Randall C. Resch

4 hours ago, rreschran said:

As it regards defending one's company against damage lawsuits to lowered cars and exotics, I was twice where owners falsely claimed damage to their lowered cars.  At the onset of the transport request, I'd take pictures and make notes as to, "prior to tow", damages are already visible., and then have the owner sign the visual inventory. You can bet that most low-profile cars and exotics have experienced underside damage having been stuffed into some roadway dip or that of entering someone's driveway. For the court process, and in the lowered car cases I won, I explained to judges that the vehicles allegedly damaged were lowered by the vehicle’s owner, NOT lowered by the factory, and damages weren't caused as the result of loading. I made a complete photo presentation of the pre-existing damages as well as explaining the process used to load a lowered car. If the vehicle was factory lowered like a Ferrari, Porsche, or Lamborghini etc, not that of a lowered Lexus, Honda or other street-machine, my presentation was factual, honest and detailed to have the court accept my explanation that I did everything possible to keep from damaging an already damaged vehicle. Documentation and photos is key prior-to any load or transport of lowered, custom, or exotic vehicle.      R.

Pre towed Photos are a MUST in these cases. Especially for PPI /LEI tows. I usually take all four corners, front lip and rear lip. I take specific pics of existing damage including curb rash on wheels as well no matter how obvious or old the damage appears. During my corners shots i make sure that the back round can be seen in the photos. I have had plenty of people try to claim tow damage and in most cases as soon as I state i have photos , all of a sudden they remember the damage was there before I even bring up the photos. It doesnt hurt to take loading pics as well showing your ramps, cribbing, skates, propper rigging etc.. A couple extra minutes here saves countless hours and money in court fighting a bogus damage claim. 

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

• 2 weeks later...

Do yourself a huge favor fellas and download a camera app that puts the time and date stamp on the picture, and get all-around shots immediately when you reach the scene.  Many of them have GPS stamping as well where you can select it to display the coordinates, or even better, the street address where the picture was taken.  Another round of pictures when you drop off is also a wise move.

Read reviews on the apps before you download to be sure you aren't getting some malicious crap posing as a legitimate app.

It should be noted that most of this information is included in the EXIF data on each picture taken with a smartphone, but you need to download and use a specific camera app that will put this info IN the picture for everyone to see so there is no debate.

Richard

Edited by someotherplace
  • Like 2