Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Vote on Waze Slow Down-Move Over Warning

TowBot

suggestion_box_03.png

The towing community has an opportunity to weigh in on an initiative involving the GPS navigation platform Waze to warn motorists to slow down-move over due to emergency responders – police cars, tow trucks, ambulances – up ahead.

As of press time, nearly 3,000 votes had been cast, with voters leaving over 160 comments in support of the measure. Waze has over 100 million motorists-users worldwide.

“Lives are being lost at alarming rates and any support of the Move Over laws are greatly appreciated,” stated the initiative, which originated at Speed’s Towing in Portland, Ore.

With nearly 50 tow operator U.S. roadside deaths in 2019 by Tow Times count, the towing and recovery industry is looking to reduce those numbers. The federal government’s General Accountability Office (GAO) also is studying how to limit towing fatalities, which a study published last year by an affiliate of the Centers for Disease Control showed are 15 times higher than other industries.

Vote at: http://ow.ly/MctS50xXae5

wrcsPQip5Tk

View the full article and more on TowTimes.com

• Like 1

I really think this is just dumbing down people even further. There are already emergency lights present. What is next having a valet hand out Starbucks 1/4 mile from a scene?

Maybe putting out spike strips in a strategic manner is a solution. My money is on blocker vehicles that are placed on scene and accordingly billed out. They will not be 100 percent effective, but I strongly believe that they will be 60 percent effective. 

And that is thirty people being with family on Christmas morning to be able to spend time with their loved ones. 

The question is, when are people going to get motivated to do something more than just talk. When are people going to demand a safe working environment for operators on the side of the road. The move over law does nothing to someone who is tweeking on meth and has been awake for two weeks. It does nothing for a heroin addict who just jabbed a needle in his or her arm. It does nothing for the person who just swallowed a fist full of pills. And it does nothing for a person who slammed two beers and a shot before last call. 

Because they are in their own little fishbowl, and are feeling no pain. 

• Like 3

Bottom line is people DO NOT pay any attention and they just simply DO NOT care. It does not matter if their gps tells them to slow down ahead, it doesnt matter if there are flashing lights and people working in the road ahead. All types of $$ is spent on digital signage, traffic cameras and news warnings about traffic issues on our roadways and it makes NO DIFFERENCE. What does make a difference? PROPERLY TRAINED AND ALERT OPERATORS. As the world evolves and more and more technology is added, the level of common sense diminishes. I had a person just yesterday come within INCHES of side swiping my truck. When I caught up to her at the next traffic light and questioned her about it her response was her car has "lane departure" so if she was that close, her car would have moved over by itself....... ARE YOU F#@$ING KIDDING ME?????? The ONLY thing that is going to keep us alive is us. I personally have had enough of the B.S. move over laws that are not enforced and all the other crap that just does not work. PROTECT YOURSELF. Pay attention and watch your back. If it is that unsafe then DONT DO IT. All the knuckle draggers driving around you out there dont care. If their cars auto-braking or lane departure system says they are not too close to you then they must not be... duh.....

• Like 2

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

I have spoken to a member of the Waze Team at least a couple of times over the past year. Their interest at the time was ads for tow trucks in the app, however they have been looking into implementing the same option as police ahead or vehicle on side of road alerts. They did have some concerns and that is where it has been for several months if not a year now.

While the meaning behind this petition is in good faith. I doubt that the effect would be much. That isn't to say I am against the apps notifying drivers to slow down and move over. This type of alert would certainly raise the awareness of the need to use extra caution.

Would this actually save a tow operators life. That would be highly unlikely as approximately 9 out of 10 drivers which have struck and killed or injured a tow truck operator were distracted. Some were on their phone which could effect the app. While most have been under the influence, such subjects would like not be using an app. But, again you cannot fault the effort and it dos make for a good PSA.

I've not yet see an APP that reminds tow operators to stay OFF the white-line side? If that were the case, perhaps a decline in 50-percent of operator fatalities would be the end of the year count.     R.

• Like 2

Randall C. Resch

1 hour ago, rreschran said:

I've not yet see an APP that reminds tow operators to stay OFF the white-line side? If that were the case, perhaps a decline in 50-percent of operator fatalities would be the end of the year count.     R.

It is funny, sad funny not ha ha, that you say that. Just this week there was a discussion in a Facebook tow group about working the traffic side and overwhelmingly the operators, and I use that term loosely, in that group were declaring the purposefully work the traffic side! Their reasoning was so they could see the threat coming at them and get out of the way rather than be pinned between their truck and the guide rail or Jersey barrier. Several even said their exit strategy was to dive under or on top of their carrier if a strike was about to happen.

WOW is all I can say. Never mind the facts support being away from traffic with a physical barrier such as your truck as much safer, just plain common sense is lost upon these folks.

I think that until we raise the bar of entry into this industry, and becoming a tow operator is not a job of last resort for folks as it is with many today, this attitude will never change. Look at how it took a culture shift within the fire service to make them respectable professionals, and look at all the training and continuing education they willingly undertake -even the volunteers- just to stay qualified. Yet in our industry asking a driver to take an online quiz is often too much effort! It becomes disheartening some days.

• Thanks 1

I like the concept of this Waze app notification, it may help with how many drivers blindly follow their gps. It reminds me of what they have had in Germany many years ago where all emergency vehicles have a beacon that causes an interruption to their in car radio and broadcasts an alert that a tow truck, fire, ems or police unit is on the shoulder ahead. As far as I understand this has been very helpful over there to prevent struck by incidents.

• Like 1

I voted!    I like the idea of the waze notifications.  I know I regularly use waze for travel notifications and updates.  I leave my phone in the cup holder and listen to the voice prompts.  Sometimes its tire debris, a pothole, or police... instantly I pay that much more attention when I know there may be a hazard coming, so I can only hope it would help even a little for others.

Back of tshirt.JPG

I voted as well. Anything we can do to make it safer for just one tow truck operator should be worth it. I get red light or speed camera alerts on my GPS, why not this too.

• Like 1

George - - Moore's BP
We'll see you on down the road