Quantcast
rreschran

Re: Round-Table for Professionalism?

I had an at length discussion with Quinn Piening this past week with the idea of stepping up to professionalism. We discussed perhaps having a face to face meeting with state legislators. I think it's a great idea. But a meeting with state representatives is something that should happen after some kind of game plan in initiated. At the moment, if professionalism or certification is to remotely look anything similar to NFPA 1500 standards, shouldn't there be ideas or a concept of what needs are to be focused upon?

In another post, I posted my opinion and mentioned that TRAA already has a nationwide certification program in-place. They have powerful leadership and their finger on the pulse of the industry. I believe their actions are in the best interests of the towing and recovery industry. Because CTTA and American Towman have the upcoming tow show in Las Vegas, I believe that location to be the perfect place to hold a round-table discussion to see where the nuts and bolts of professionalism and certification are? I for one welcome the oppportunity to learn what other towers are thinking. So, I'll just leave it at that.

Any comments would be appreciated?      R.

Randall C. Resch

I concur with your opinion on this and am happy to participate in any way possible. Long before we bring legislators into this discussion we need something presentable, even draft language for model legislation. I suggest researching how the paid ambulance companies and hazardous materials remediation companies have been able to obtain emergency responder status legally, what the standards for inclusion are in those industries and then model something for towing on similar lines.

I would love to take this national, with the TRAA as suggested, possibly working thru the Federal Highway Administration for broad reaching authority. If they would codify model regulations and standards the states could simply adopt them for state and local roadways same as they do the MUTCD. That said, I am a realist and think we would have a better shot at national regulations if we could get a progressive state to be the first to model it. California and Texas come to mind as the states closest to being there already and both have great state associations to work with.

I am in for the round table in Vegas.

Hey Randall,

I agree that having documented basic standards for the towing industry such as the NFPA 1500 could be helpful in providing additional roadway safety for our very hard working tow operators. I think the American Towman show in Las Vegas would be great location to begin this conversation. 

Bobby Tuttle

CIRT

Hey Ron ... may I suggest that this thread is moved to the association pages on TowForce? I'd like to extend the invite ... no ... better yet, CHALLENGE all associations to get involved with this quest to become nationally certified or recognized between states at the benefit of tow operators relocating state to state. Thanks.    R

Randall C. Resch

Randy, I agree that the Legal & Associations Forum would be appropriate for bringing in Association Leaders.

However, there could be an issue with that at this point. See the Legal & Associations forum is "Member Only".

The Reason the Legal & Association forum is "Member Only" is because some discussions do not need lurkers.

Another option is the New Professional Standards/SDMO Club Level forum. If this remains a Professional Standards discussion then that is the best move. If the direction is getting Association Members involved the the General Associations forum (Legal & Associations) is best. At the peak of Tow411 there were quite a few Association Leaders involved or at least following topics. What can be done to encourage them to enter into discussions leading up to a first such round table?

Tel me where and when to move this Round-Table Topic....

I have sent this link to:

Alabama Towing & Recovery Association - altowassociation.org

Empire State Towing & Recovery Association

Idaho Towing Association -

Minnesota Professional Towing Association -

Pennsylvania Towing Association

Associations which are already represented on TowForce:

Arizona - Georgia - Kentucky - Wisconsin

I'll get back on this as I have time. In the meanwhile if you can contact your association or you are an association leader. Please sound off and add a reply, lets take this possible round table someplace others have not been before.

Hey Ron ... thanks for your work on getting this invite out to the associations. Within this thread is Quinn Piening, President of the California Tow Truck Association. I referred him to Tommy Anderson, director of SouthWest Tow Operators SWTO. I'm workingon contacting others so to get this word out. This week, I'll try to make time to draft a non-formal, non-committal message to the various associations with hope to garner additional attention and participation.  For those participating or following these recent messages, if you are involved in your own state association, could you contact your association leaders and tell them what's going on regarding professionalism and standardization? Thanks.    R.

Randall C. Resch

OK, Chris is working on a solution to a preliminary Round Table other than the numerous topics that will likely result. I believe this is an opportunity for Associations to get on the same page. We can do this as a group, I want to provide a vehicle for it in a professional manner. But, where it goes is up to those who take the lead. I should not be constrained to any one venue, although it does need a center. At one time, for a short time Tow411 was a center. I am sure 2 years into a 3 year rebuild TowForce is picking up where that left off. Yes, similar round tables didn't seem to accomplish much. But this one isn't as limited in time and space. Pedal to the middle as they say and lets see just who will join in these important gatherings over the course of say the next 18 months.

Randall, there is something new and it's virtual. While it is still being investigated, this may work as a preset for an actual person to person round table. Whatever happens, personally I do not want to see it be another one time round and those involved end up back in their respected corners. These issues facing the industry have been a can kicked down the road for far too long. The time has come to do more.

Anyone that has thought's, suggestion's, idea's nothing should be off the table and I am sure everyone would entertain those replies. Often thinking outside the box can bring new vision to an old problem.

I have emailed my regional director of ESTRA ( empire state towing recovery association ) and I am waiting on a reply. my hope is to get them to look into joining this on our behalf.

There are Tow Truck Drivers, Then There is Towing and Recovery operators...... Which one are you??🤨

Keep em' coming. It's that sqweeky wheel thing right? So far, I count a total of four associations mentioned, but only Quinn has shown up to play. Where are the other association leaders? I know you're out there!     R.

Randall C. Resch

Yesterday, I received a really nice message from John Coupland (UK) who has great towing and recovery experience, involvement and a lifetime spent in the industry. Not only as a tow business owner, he has received legislative and administrative kudos working with his government and his country's association. John was inducted to the Hall of Fame in October. He brings a great wealth of knowledge to the industry and I would like to invite John to play here. You already know his as MushSpeed, but he's a shy guy, but a wonderful talent. I honestly can say that he's one of the rare few who travels to America to attend the tow shows. Keep yer' comments comming John.     R.

Randall C. Resch

This Topic will be moved into the New Professional Standards Club Level Forum. There is a Link in the Performance Center Category below. The Only difference between a Regular Forum and the Club Level Forum is Members will need to join the forum in order to participate. Otherwise all members can read the topics of discussion.

The alternative was to move these type of topics into the Legal & Associations Forum which is "Members Only"

On a side note for the Guests and Members with ZERO Posts. The "Member Only" Forums are not the same as "Supporter Level" Forums. "Supporter Level" Forums require a "Supporter Status" while "Member Only" Forums simply require an Introduction Post is the Introductions Forum. Hope that clarifies the procedure to joining forums. This is not unlike joining private groups on other forms of social media. However, it often is not related to message boards in the same regard.

Anyway, we'll give it a try this way and if it doesn't work we'll change it up again. Obviously the discussions cannot continue in headlines.

Professional Standards Link

I am not even sure the Club Level is the proper format. But, it is something that has not been tried before to raise the bar. After all that has always been the end goal. Several factors derailed are efforts over the past nearly decade, I believe the return of a generation of concerned Towing Industry Professionals along with a next generation that is quite technology savvy. This could work, if not then we keep trying till we get it right.

Those reading along should request to join  Professional Standards. Show the Network can be a Force in the Towing Industry!

https://www.towforce.net/forum/179-discussions/

8 hours ago, rreschran said:

Yesterday, I received a really nice message from John Coupland (UK) who has great towing and recovery experience, involvement and a lifetime spent in the industry. Not only as a tow business owner, he has received legislative and administrative kudos working with his government and his country's association. John was inducted to the Hall of Fame in October. He brings a great wealth of knowledge to the industry and I would like to invite John to play here. You already know his as MushSpeed, but he's a shy guy, but a wonderful talent. I honestly can say that he's one of the rare few who travels to America to attend the tow shows. Keep yer' comments comming John.     R.

Randy, your mentioning of John Coupland from the UK got me thinking a bit. Industry professionalism is not just a United States, or even North America problem, it is global. In that aspect, we face many of the same challenges, operate in the same environments and with globalization of vehicles, equipment and even standards there is much that could be gained by combining forces as a global standard for the towing industry. Again I point to the NFPA as they have managed to accomplish exactly what we are just now attempting, and they are in fact doing it on an international level. NFPA has reach into Asia, the Middle East and many other global regions.

https://www.nfpa.org/international

Perhaps with resources from around the world we can cherry pick the best of current policies, regulations and industry practices already in play to create a workable standard. As I have learned from my involvement with the legislative committees of multiple trade associations, our lawmakers want the easy way out. What I mean is if we bring them properly formatted regulations with supporting documentation and can point to where similar legislation has already been adopted they will work with us. Why do you think so many vehicle codes are strikingly similar across the US? It isn't just an effort to harmonize laws, no, it is the work of a little known association, the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators https://www.aamva.org/  

There is no reason why the towing industry can not have a strong association that provides this type of leadership, we just have to make it happen. Now is the time.

Thank you to towzone and all the other moderators and administrators for all your hard work getting this maze of discussions and posts organized. This forum IS and Will be the foundation of our industry revolution !!!  

There are Tow Truck Drivers, Then There is Towing and Recovery operators...... Which one are you??🤨

Thank you sincerely Randall for your kind words.... sadly I don't have the literary skills to write pages of stuff over these issues, nor do I have all the answers either ….

But, like Brian says,  this is a worldwide issue...and if we can learn from each other that has to be good... in the UK and Europe we have huge challenges too...

I really enjoy travelling to the USA and Aileen and I have made a lot of friends and contacts over the years,  I am always interested and fascinated in the products that you have on offer and are presented.... from a mighty rotator down to a chrome nut cover ...

I always return home  loaded down with custom goodies we cant get at home and always have to pay excess baggage charges...

I am also very interested in your training programmes, seminars, safety equipment, lighting equipment, winching and lifting equipment,  service tools, I.T. stuff  etc ….  oh ! and the beer and music is pretty good too!!

what sort of Towing and Recovery  legislation you have and can we learn from that ? 

I am always willing to share what we are doing in the UK  and to compare notes, we can all educate ourselves a little more ….sometimes, it's the easiest things that are the hardest to figure out …. 

I am privileged to be part of a UK  recovery industry working group …… developing a self regulating Recovery Operators Licence  ( ROLS ) that sets a minimum Quality standard ….

Many operators are very supportive and want to see it happen ….however there is a large amount of objectors too.... complaining it will only bring more costs into the industry with little or no return....      Ostrich or what !!

However we are determined to push forward with it...  the work is on going...

John.