Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Re: Firefighter and Police Officer Killed on Highway - Lubbock

rreschran

Another senseless speed-related traffic incident occurred in, Lubbock, Texas, and under icy conditions. Responders were working a solo vehicle roll-over crash when another vehicle lost control and crashed into firefighters and police officers. The crash resulted in one firefighter/paramedic killed as well as a police officer killed with another firefighter critically injured.  Christine and I send our prayers to the City of Lubbock, the families of those injured or killed, and the departments they worked for.     R

Link:  https://www.officer.com/on-the-street/news/21120900/texas-police-officer-and-firefighter-killed-in-icy-wreck

utm_source=Officer.com+Officer+Down&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=CPS200111006&o_eid=8332G9815412E0C&rdx.ident%5Bpull%5D=omeda%7C8332G9815412E0C&oly_enc_id=8332G9815412E0C

Another Updated News Video of the Police Press Release  https://abc13.com/5839274/

Randall C. Resch

Another terrible, tragic accident compounded by a weather event that the region doesnt normally deal with. Maybe we need to start a new campaign instead of slow down move over called "watch your back" or "plan your actions" or something. we MUST control our own movements and actions out there. SDMO does NOTHING for these types of situations. YOU as the responder on scene must plan your actions and movements and watch your back always. you are not invincible out there, your lights, reflective clothing, badges, guns, turnout gear and road cones are NOT an iron shield. your common sense and intelligence are your best protection.  

• Like 1

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

When these fatality incidents (of great magnitude occur) the highway patrols with jurisdiction oftentimes re-route traffic off the highway. Although TIM preaches to keep traffic flowing, I think the very purpose of, as Grumps says, "watch your back", comes with road closure. To me the odds of someone surviving a rear-end crash (in stacking traffic with the que) are greater than a pedestrian worker who is in/near/or working on the highway. I personally believe that saving lives is a greater priorrrity than inconvenience to the motoring public or the economic loss to the community. To that I'll ask, "What is the total economic loss when a firefighter, police officer or tow operator is killed, to include the investigation, shut-down of the highway, medical transport, fire department response, police on-scene, response of the coronor, or any other included costs when a roadside worker is killed?" I believe that roadways in crash scenarios should be strategically blocked, slowed, or rerouted in the best interests of survival because Slow-Down Move-Over laws DON'T work.     R. 

• Like 2

Randall C. Resch