Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Re: Tower's Responding from Home

Ron and I have had back and forth conversation regarding tow operators serving law enforcement from their residences. In smaller communities and smaller tow companies that serve the law enforcement community, many towns and municipalities have codes that prohibit tow trucks from parking at their residences. For obvious reasons, neighbors don't care about you serving the cops when it comes to the late-hour quietness of their neighborhoods or the parking problems that a 40-foot carrier creates curbside. In 2012, I wrote a feature article in American Towman discussing the pro's and con's of responding from home. I mentioned three sides of the proverbial coin that had to do with neighborhood considerations, current (local) law, and the needs of the department being served. That being said, I had an at-length discussion with my brother who is a retired police chief from southern California. He commented that, if local laws prohibit a tow truck to be parked at home, the local agency should go-to-bat for rotation or contract tow companies if that agency expects reasonable on-time (ETAs) arrivals to their officer's needs for service. If you're tow company is restricted from parking at curbside, at your home, or on your property, have you approached either the chief of police, sheriff and your city or town's government regarding your position? To enlighten other towers who may be experienceng this problem, what approach did you take to become approved for response from home?      R.

Randall C. Resch

Randy, here in San Antonio there is a law prohibiting "oversized" vehicles on the street. I received a number of ticket for being parked oversized. Their solution was that I find a business that would allow me to park outside their closed business. That was not going to happen. I appeared  in court and requested a jury trial. They backed down and dropped the charges. There was an operator who had to salk close to a half mile as he lived in an apartment complex. Thd city has contractors for their rotation and could care less about anyone else.

Until we get an ice storm in town and they need everyone's help. 

• Like 1

OK ... to that I'll ask GM, are you a police tower in San Antonio or for DPS? Please advise. This is a similar quandry that falls into the category of tow operators being, "First Responders", where their service is that of a PPI provider or a repo agent. While I'm speaking to the choir here, parking at home has been a long-time issue where quiet neighborhoods are reportedly disrupted by tow trucks. While I understand the problem completely, but not every tow truck will respond to police calls right?    R.

Randall C. Resch

Randy, here in San Antonio there is a law prohibiting "oversized" vehicles on the street. I received a number of ticket for being parked oversized. Their solution was that I find a business that would allow me to park outside their closed business. That was not going to happen. I appeared  in court and requested a jury trial. They backed down and dropped the charges. There was an operator who had to salk close to a half mile as he lived in an apartment complex.