Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

What would you do "Safety Discussion 37"

• 3 months later...

I would like to know the weight of the towed unit, as well as what series dodge (3500/4500/5500) is its.  The added wheel base with the tunnel box makes a huge difference. 

I would have no issue with towing it with my truck.  I have a 2015 Dodge 5500 84" CA 4x4 with MPL40.   The Sprinters tow well behind it with no steering or braking issues.   I would expect much of this RV to be fiberglass and relatively light.

store_21169_logo_image_1613770811.png

• 2 weeks later...

GVWR of the Thor Siesta is 11030.  88 gallons water about 734 pounds.  26 gallons diesel about 182 pounds.  Figure about 1600 pounds cargo/persons headroom.

If the truck is empty, it SHOULD weigh about 8500 pounds.  HOWEVER, a similar older model on a Sprinter chassis with the same GVWR claims in an RV forum...

"2009 (2008 chassis) Winnebago View (for sale since purchase of a Citation Sprinter SR). GVWR is 11030: Limits are 4410 Front, 7720 Rear with a GCWR of 15,250 (max tongue weight of 500) the per the specs in the sales brochure."

This person went on to claim he weighed the truck with just him in it, full fuel and LPG and water, and with just that ONE PERSON and ZERO cargo in the RV, it was 100 pounds over GVWR on a CAT scale at a Love's.

So if the front axle load is 4410 and the person isn't in it, that's quite a load for that wheel lift.

Edited by occupant272
forgot quotes

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I can't see clearly enough in the image if the wheel retainers are installed properly with straps or chains, although it does appear they have safety chains attached. Overall this is not as bad as it looks. That said, they still are most likely exceeding wrecker body and/or chassis component ratings with this combination.

That ProMaster chassis is front wheel drive, small motor and overall that RV weights about 9-10k, so they are lifting maybe 5k. Might be a tad bit over the safe towing formula for that truck, would have to have exact numbers to be sure. Most likely is over the ratings of the wheel lift, that appears to be an Intruder so the wheel lift should be rated for 4k lift and 7,500 tow.

My concern would be safe stopping, as that Ram tow truck most likely has a 18-19,500 GVWR, tare weight about 8-9k and towed unit weighting up to 10k, they are right at the edge of what the braking system on the tow truck is designed to handle. My other concern is operating out of class for their driver license. The Promaster chassis with the Sierra RV has a GVWR of 11,500 according to several RV websites, so it is greater than 10,001 and the wrecker will be between 18-19.5k, making the combined weight rating over 26,001 with a towed unit over 10,001 so a class A CDL is required.

This one here I am on the fence with. If its a 5500 Ram then shes good to 19,500. Now I dont know off hand what the weight of the rv is, If I was the operator on scene I would look. If the rv had to go a long distance or on the interstate then this wouldnt do. I will admit, I have gone a little overweight from time to time on short local runs but nothing crazy. 20-2100 lbs.tops. I have a feeling this might fall in that category. 

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

I don't think this one is as bad as it seems, as said above. Most of the weight I'm assuming is behind the rear, at least that's how most of the van fronts I've seen are. Those promasters are pretty light in the engine department, so your not picking up the dead weight of a 460 or 454 like you would have been in the past. Without really knowing the actual scaled weights, I'd say this is one of those borderline tows that you do in a pinch with no problem.

• Like 1