Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

2001 F-650 Hydraulic pump issues

David Osofsky

Hi All

I have no hydraulics on my rollback. Just stopped working. Replaced the pump, new filter and checked the gears in the PTO. No gear wear. Plenty of fluid in reservoir. Has anyone had this type of issue?

I’ve removed the PTO cable and manually engaged the PTO still not working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You do not mention what brand of bed this is, and that may be crucial information. Common places to look are plugged hydraulic filters (you say your is new), and stuck bypass and hydraulic valves. Some filter housings have a valve in them, though the fail position should still provide pressure as it should bypass the filter. I had a Vulcan bed that had a bypass valve at the driver side valve bank that was a constant problem. Do you have a way to check pressure at the valves? Given your description I am going to assume you can hear the pump engage, which leads me to an educated guess that fluid is flowing, and a bypass valve is causing your problem ...

Cannot read the model number, but the hydraulic valve body has a check valve, I would start there, assuming you are able to verify that the pto engages and there is fluid flowing.

I was working on it today and disconnected the pressure hose on the pump, it had no oil flow. I left the hose disconnected for awhile and had hydraulic fluid all over the floor. Engine not running just free flow

Then reinstalled the hose thinking it would now work but no go. Any thoughts on what I should look for?

Oil will run out just because of gravity. Could it be a bad (new) pump? Not everything new is good out of the box. Any way to make sure gear is turning on tranny?

George - - Moore's BP
We'll see you on down the road

It certainly sounds like the drive gear for the pump is not engaging with the transmission gear. There are different thickness gaskets and shims that can be installed or removed as needed to get the proper mesh for the gears. The tolerances are pretty spot on so you have to get it just right. I would start there. When you pull the pump back off the tranny, take a look in there and make sure the teeth on the drive gear are not chewed up. 

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

Hi guys. I want to Thank ya’ll for responding. I took the pump off and had a helper engage the PTO. The gear spinning when letting the clutch out. Splines look good on the PTO output. When disengaged the output gear spins freely. PTO engaged feels locked in. Also when engaging without clutch it does grind. Is it still possible that the PTO is bad?
Reason I ask is that I remounted the pump and loosen the hose no fluid is present.
Thanks

Hi Guys
I have a update ********
I found a few issues Thanks to your help.

First was the suction hose from the tank to the pump collapsing due to a soft spot. I replaced the hose.

Second thing was the pump being bi-directional. I had the hoses backwards. Once I corrected that the hydraulics are working perfectly now.

Again, I want to Thank You all for helping me out. You Gents are Awesome

• Like 3