Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tower Down 01.07.20 (FL) "VIDEO ADDED"

TowZone

FHP: Driver dead following crash involving semi-truck in St. Johns County

FHP says a semi-truck was parked along Interstate 95 NB and was somehow struck by a tow truck.

A tow-truck driver is dead following a crash involving a semi-truck in St. Johns County early Tuesday morning.

The Florida Highway Patrol says Darren Grincewich, 34, of Satsuma, Fla. was killed as a result of the crash.

According to a crash report released by FHP, the incident happened at 4:15 a.m. on I-95 near mile marker 302. 

FHP says a semi-truck was parked along Interstate 95 NB and was somehow struck by a tow truck. The driver of the tow truck was pronounced dead at the scene, troopers say.

The exact cause and chain of events are still under investigation by FHP.

RESOURCE LINK

A search for the driver Darren Grincewich revealed he may have been employed by Cochran Motorsports, Hastings, FL.

79763766_10206993206386445_1547839203398

With this incident occurring at 0415 hours I have to consider whether driver fatigue played a roll in this crash. I have been guilty of overextending my capacities to chase that dollar in the past. I am more mature and responsible now. I am ashamed to admit that I jearordized many people's health safety and well being due to my unwillingness to say, " no, I need rest", turn off the phone,  and put out the do not disturb sign. It was looked upon as a weakness if people did not overextend themself. And I was not coragious enough to tell people to give me the time to recover. I had many close calls. Some very close, too close for comfort. I did finally fall asleep at the wheel driving down the interstate. At 70 mph. I totalled the truck, and injured my back. Luckily the only external injury was to a stop sign and about fifteen feet of gaurd rail. I launched an F450 with an 882 Vulcan off an embankment, in the air, landed on the front clip knocking the front axle out completely, slid down the embankment on the frame and oil pan, crossed four lanes of traffic, hit and climbed over the curb as if I were going up the embankment on the other side. 

I thank God I did not hurt anyone else.

I always listen to people when they say they are exhausted. 

Safety begins even before you start your shift. The quality and amount of rest you get prior to your shift is the foundation for the safe completion of your work day.

Your number one priority is to go home safe, EACH and EVERY time you step into that truck. And if that little voice on your shoulder tells you to slow down, stop and rest, do not talk an unneccessary chance; listen to that voice, not the one that tells you to push forward and operate in an unsafe manner.

Edited by goodmichael