Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Tower Injured 12.31.19 (MI)

TowNews

Tow truck driver hurt delivering vehicle to Lapeer dealership

A tow truck driver is recovering after he was hurt while delivering a vehicle to a Lapeer Dealership.

The owner of the towing company tells us a 19-year-old was unloading the vehicle on Tuesday when he was run over as it was coming off of the flatbed.

Questions remain about what happened after the accident, and how quickly the driver was able to get care.

"It was disbelief," Larry LaCroix said.

That's what LaCroix, the owner of Cut Rate Auto Repair, felt when he learned his Tow Truck driver Jacob Budrow was accidentally run over by a car.

LaCroix says it happened at Jim Riehl's Friendly Automotive Group. That's where Budrow was dropping off a vehicle.

"He got inside of it and set the emergency brake and tried to get the disabled vehicle off the truck,” LaCroix said. “And then he made a mistake and popped the shifter cable off, the emergency brake didn't hold and the vehicle kind of rolled over top of him."

Budrow suffered a collapsed lung, two broken ribs, and four fractured vertebrae.

LaCroix claims that workers at the dealership that saw the mishap didn't call 911.

"If I see somebody get ran over by a vehicle, and four of his employees was out there witnessing it, I’m not going to ask him and see if needs medical attention,” he said. “My first response is going to be call 911 immediately."

TV5 reached out to the owner of the dealership and was told he was in a meeting and would not be available today. But the company did release this statement on Facebook:

“Unfortunately, an accident happened on our dealership property Tuesday late afternoon when a tow truck driver went to remove a disabled vehicle from his flatbed truck. Our dealership wishes the driver a speedy recovery and is extremely glad that the driver wasn't hurt worse when he was removing the vehicle from his truck.

Numerous attempts were made to have the driver agree to receive medical attention during the times in which he stood up, moved away from the vehicle, walked to his truck, and when he was inside his truck. We finally called his company's office to have them come down and talk with him. Again, our thoughts have and will remain with the driver that was injured.”

One thing is clear, everyone is glad he didn't lose his life.

"I could not have lived with myself if something like that would've happened," LaCroix said.

RESOURCE LINK with video

Thankfully this young man will be ok.. Now to look at the BIGGER problem here. The owner of "CUT RATE" Is obviously one of those particular owners who just finds warm bodies to set behind the wheel of his trucks. Yes I can see where the dealership receiving the vehicle should have called ems for this boy. Your deflecting your responsibility to the dealership.  But here you are Mr. CUT RATE putting a boy out there with apparently ZERO TRAINING. YOU, MR. CUT RATE ARE THE PROBLEM. That boys injuries are YOUR fault. Maybe I am being harsh, But I can only hope this incident puts you out of business Before you and your practices get someone killed. 

• Like 2

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

Somebody needs a two year scholarship to Towing and Recovery Technology. 

You are absolutely on point. This is a prime example of the parallel of towing today to what firefighting was in the 70's. 

Not knocking anybody, but the truth is the truth. 

And you hit the bullseye with your assessment.

Edited by goodmichael
  • Like 1

I continue to hear the same two responses on social media.

1. Tow Truck Drivers need a special license. I wonder what that special license would do other than create another government agency. When an industry looks to government to resolve it's issues. It often creates more issues.

2. Training is Expensive and they a driver moves on as this is not a career for most new hires. State Associations could make a difference use CTTA and the Texas Associations as examples of an ongoing effort. Problem with that is the majority of tow companies in other states are not members or are not active in the association. I once gave up on promoting association membership. If we can throw on the attitudes & egos that may be the only thing that can save us.

Just my ramblings, sorry to subject our readers to my continuous dribble of nonsense!

Training is expensive. Few companies charge a rate that allows for companies to pay a living wage let alone training. Many companies only requirements are that a driver can walk, has a pulse, and a drivers license. They then cut them loose. 

I believe that part of the reason it is hard to find operators, and I mean operators not drivers is because there is little to offer for the education, experience, knowledge, and training in return for the time and sacrifice required. 

I once worked for a man who stated up front that it was his conscious objective and desire to be the most expensive wrecker service in town. He prided himself on fast response and customer service. He demanded that we had the cleanest trucks in town. We were paid a decent wage, and had every other weekend off. We got new equipment once a truck hit 100,000 miles. The man had an eigth grade education, but knew what it cost him ti run a call, and how much it cost per mile. He actually had a formula that he used, placing the cost of diesel into the formula to get the results. He was on top of his business. 

This was as opposed to a company that had a goal to generate as much cash flow as possible, burning out staff and grinding equipment into the ground. Regardless of whether a call made or lost money.

State Associations have little impact on ownership in the scheme of the big picture. They are great to be a member of, but they do not change the heart an mind of a company that does not care. 

And that driver that you grind up and spit out might just have had the potential to be a great leader and driver. But because of a scab company, he or she choses to go make a living  in another industry where he is compensated and treated as the professional he or she really is.

• Like 1

But, then we take a look at the types of companies that have lost drivers. It seems all the perceptions that companies that do not train or compensate their drivers is dispelled. Thus, that would leave one to believe that regardless of the amount of training often these tragic instances occur. So, what do we take from that?

Training Is expensive yes, Standards set on a National level requiring said training may get the costs down some in my opinion. if EVERYONE who wants to be in this business has to get and provide this training I feel the prices would settle down. It may suffer from "shiny new thing" syndrome in the begining and be outrageously priced to start, But as more accredited training becomes available the prices would come down. It needs to be looked at the cost of doing business.This would also in my opinion get these scab companies and the inexperienced kids they hire to disappear over time. This industry needs to evolve from just a job to a career for people dedicated to it. We are the Mcdonalds of the automotive world when in reality we have the ability and the need to be the 5 star restaurants      

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TowZone said:

I feel we need to get some association leaders into the conversation as they have been making advances. I fear that individuals within an outside the industry striking out on their own are only going to create larger issues.

I could not agree more. Like i have said before, I am just a tiny 2 truck operation in a podunk upstate town. I wouldnt even know where to begin. But I will say, I am passionate about this Industry and what it stands for. I like many others out there would adjust and adapt as the industry evolves. I would love to hear the Ideas of association leaders as long as they are open to hearing from all of us little guys out here too. 

I believe it is time to call in representatives from law enforcement, vehicle manufacturers, vehicle insurance companies, commercial insurance companies that write policies for the industry, motor clubs, and representatives from the towing equipment manufacturers to discuss the dire need for ramping up safety through training and blocker vehicles. It needs to be done on a manner where there is total agreement. And everyone needs to bring their big boy and big girl pants to the table to discuss the true cost of safety. Do it soon, do ig now.

Blocker vehicles will save lives. And if a blocker vehicle can save even one life it is worth it. If initiating a program where a blocker vehicle is mandated on the side of a highway while a tow is being performed costs this industry 20 million dollars a year and it saves just one life it is worth 20 million dollars. 

Locks keep honest people honest. They due little to prevent a criminal who has a true desire to steal. Move over laws keep sober, conscientious, responsible drivers between the appropriate lines. They do little to prevent a drunk, high, or self absorbed person in a lane safe away from traffic or between the lines in the lane next to the shoulder where you are trying to work.

• Like 1

Y

On 1/4/2020 at 2:38 AM, Moose said:

I know this is not a proper question at this time. But, I have to ask anyway

_- How do you get a 19 yr old on your insurance these days -_ ???????

OK, OK I Asked and I am sure someone out there must have an answer.

This IS the time to ask that question because it just shows what kind of business this particular clown in this story runs.You dont as far as I know. All of my efforts to get my son covered have fallen on deaf ears. My oldest boy is 18,  Has a short but spotless driving record, and been learning and working with me since he could basically walk. He has also taken and passed WreckMaster entry level and carrier training. Yet I cant put him on my business Insurance as an operator untill he is 23.