Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

In Memory of KAMMERER Edward Allen 12.26.15

ForgivenOne

KAMMERER Edward Allen

Born : February 5, 1955   Entered into rest : December 26, 2015

60 years old

Mr. Kammerer owned and operated A-1 Towing in Strafford.

He responded to an accident where someone hit a power pole at the intersection of Farm Roads 112 and 125, north of Springfield. The driver of that car left the scene. Another vehicle drove up on the downed pole and it went into the ditch trying to avoid the electrical wires on the ground.

When Mr. Kammerer pulled up, the lives wires came into contact with his truck and he died of an electrical shock at the scene. He leaves behind his wife Betty, four children, and many other family members. He is remembered as a hard worker, a good guy and someone with a smile always on their face.

http://towersmemorial.info/memorial.htm

Thanks Ron for remembering Ed Kammerer. As the result of Ed's death, I wrote an American Towman article, March 2016, having to do with the incident leading up to the events of his death. I in-turn had the opportunity to talk with Betty on the phone soon after he was killed regarding the details that ended in her husband's electrocution death. In that, I wrote articles on the dangers of responding to, "pole down", collisions and the dangers of arching electricity when big-rig booms come in contact with high-voltage wires.

I helped nominate Ed Kammerer for inclusion to the Wall of the Fallen in Chattanooga and then nominate Ed for an American Towman Hero's Award.  At Baltimore's Tow Show 2016, Betty received Ed's "American Towman, Hero's Award", and then had the honor to hang the award over Betty's neck to recognize that Ed's actions utimately prevented the deaths of a married couple seated in the car sitting atop energized wires.

http://towindustryweek.com/12-rates-trade/5931-downed-wires-hot-or-not

Although Ed has been gone some time now, he isn't forgotten for his actions.  RIP Ed.        R.

• Like 1

Randall C. Resch