Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

'47 Mack B61

TowZone

Pttowguy Wrote:

I found this new (old) arrival at our shop the other day. I don't have much info on it except that its suppose to be a 1947 B61 Mack. It has an " L J" emblem on the grille below the Mack nameplate. Its been sitting for years and is basically complete except for the missing hood and front bumper. Is it a keeper??

th_47Mack01.jpg
th_47Mack02.jpg
th_47Mack03.jpg
th_47Mack06.jpg
th_47Mack08.jpg
th_47Mack09.jpg
myerssig1.jpg

www.myerstowing.com

Joe Cummings said:

LJ with EN707 Gas Engine rated about 170-180HP, Looks to be 44K Rears, Duplex Trans?
I was thinking they were 55K rears but the cones look small in the picture
The swing out windshields and lack of wing windows in the doors would be consistant with it being a 1947.
Serial number should be something like LJT1 followed by a letter and 4 digits.
Looks like a later EN707 than a 1947 because of the down draft carb.
I love this old stuff lol
Joe

Ken said:

That is a LJ MACK, an that cab is rare,the cab is worth restoring,DON"T junk it!

Ed Barker said:

There is a trucking company about 25 miles north of me and all he would buy is macks,he must have at least 20 trucks lined up in yard that is no longer used but they say he won't sell nothing.There all old macks ,when you go by his place it makes you think you jumped back in time 50 or 60 years,it is a very unusual site,there all lined up and backed in to there spot.

hpgtowing said:

Hey Scot..Yeah it is an LJ..Appears to be Diesel powered also.. Looks like a 16 or 18,000 Lbs front axle with 44,000 lbs. reras.... It has a quad box also... It might have been a dump truck once in life... B-Models were built between 1953 and 1966. The LJ's are collectable and becoming hard to find. Although it needs a total restoration? it would be a good investment or project. It would make a great restored wrecker.. Thanks Scott... Steve

Jerrys Towing said:

Any OLD car or truck is worth keeping if there is anyway you can. Restore them, don't junk them.

Jerrysigjerrysgarage.gif

pttowguy said:

Here are a few more pics. It does have a gasoline engine and a 2 stick transmission. Thanks for the information. We may be interested in seeing this go to a good home. We have too many other projects on the go to give this unique piece the attention it deserves.

th_47Mack10.jpg
th_000_0285.jpg
th_47Mack14.jpg
th_47Mack13.jpg
th_47Mack11.jpg
myerssig1.jpg

www.myerstowing.com

Archived