Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

New member with DOT MC authority questions

Definitely can be done on your own & save $.  FMSCA website.  No cost for DOT & $300 for MC along with # of requirements(depending on vehicle classification, interstate, intrastate,etc) & alot of reading or you can hire any compliance company(google)

Not sure where your from, but in my area  maybe 25% of tow companies are operating ‘correctly’-just doesn’t seem to be enforced, yet.

On 12/7/2019 at 1:03 PM, Michael Summerlin said:

Got an email or way to do direct connection?

Seems to me there are quite a few in my area operating without all the proper requirements. I don’t want to be that guy! My years of over the road driving taught me better than that. Rather be legal. 

Sorry for the delay, I am also part of the American Towman staff and our largest show of the year just wrapped up last night. Setting up proper compliance is not difficult, however it can be costly if you try to do it on your own and make a mistake.

If you are going to be towing, transporting or otherwise moving anything other than wrecked or disabled motor vehicles from the primary point of disablement, then yes you absolutely require operating authority. This includes secondary tows as well as auction transports, even when the cars are wrecked. Many skirt by this because roadside enforcement officers are not always up to speed on what each type of tow truck is actually doing.

Now, the bad news. Depending on if you are doing interstate or intrastate, and where you are located, it will take up to 23-27 days after your application is submitted to have active authority. DO NOT fall victim to the scams that say they can get you your authority quicker or instantly. There is no such thing, yes a US DOT number can be issued immediately, however the authority that is required to legally haul stuff you don't own takes a minimum of 21 days by law for interstate (federal) authority. Intrastate varies wildly among the different states.

Even more bad news, depending on how your insurance is written you may find you need different, much more costly insurance, as most towing only policies do not meet the federal minimum insurance requirements. Your application for interstate authority (MC number) will not be accepted without the proper insurance as evidenced by your insurance company submitting a MCS-90 form to the FMCSA. Check with your insurance agent to make sure they can do the federal for-hire motor carrier of property filing if you do actually need motor carrier authority.

I am getting ready for bed tonight, long week. I will be available by phone most of the day tomorrow, Monday Dec. 9th. Feel free to call me at (570) 228-6210 and I can walk you through what you actually need before you spend any money of authority or insurances that may or may not be correct. The initial consult is free.

Everything you mentioned was on point with what I was thinking would be required. I had hope that the process would be easier and quicker but I guess not. Pricing I have so far is the $600-675 range to have someone do the filings for me. I’m not wanting to do it myself and make a mistake and have something come back wrong or bite me later. Reckon it’s back to the savings account and do another withdraw to get that process started. Thanks for the information.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Michael Summerlin said:

Everything you mentioned was on point with what I was thinking would be required. I had hope that the process would be easier and quicker but I guess not. Pricing I have so far is the $600-675 range to have someone do the filings for me. I’m not wanting to do it myself and make a mistake and have something come back wrong or bite me later. Reckon it’s back to the savings account and do another withdraw to get that process started. Thanks for the information.

That pricing is fair, about mid range for the services required. Depending on what type of towing or hauling you are doing, you may be able to do intrastate only work once you have your US DOT number while you wait for your MC authority to go active.