Quantcast
MrsTow

Billing a customer that used a Motorclub for services

So tonight, Agero contacted my company and ask if we could do a winch out of a stuck vehicle in the forest. Agero was told that we could use our off road recovery equipment but we charge different rates for this service then the contracted rates with Agero.  Agero contacted the customer and let them know our hourly rates and told the customer they would have to pay the difference that Agero wont cover.  The customer agreed. We drove 2 1/2 hrs to do this job and the customer knew how long it would take us to get there and even asked us to stop and get them water. We get to the entrance of the Forest and called the customer and found out they called out another off road recovery company in the area and that company was currently getting them out. Even tho we were on time! I contacted Agero of course because now 5 hours of time will be wasted to/from because of this person. Agero said the would pay the GOA fee. The GOA fee is not close to our hourly rate! Has anyone ever billed a customer that went through a motorclub, but agreed to rates of the towing company, then calls someone else?  Where can I find the rights towing companies have? Heck, do we have any?

Hi Mrs. Tow ... I'm of the mindset that sets travel and time distances to be closer to my biz office. One thing that's consistent with new biz owners is they want to take all calls and satisfy everyone. At some point these long range calls come back to bite you. Your passion to help serve is admirable, but at the risk of being stiffed for these specialty services. Know this about customers ... while they'e stuck, they'll take the time to find someone cheaper than you maybe closer to you. The auto clubs oftentimes don't have control over the free will of their members. When the member knows your price, they'll use that to bargain with other tow companies in the same manner a disgruntled tow truck driver will ask anitger tow company for a job, learn the wages, and then come back to ask for a raise or quit. I don't like to be the bearer of bad tidings, but fishing for prices and then canceling out is a common practice. In this case, take the GOA as something for nothing ... tower's rights ... what's that? I salute your solid effort, but at some point, I think (for me anyway) working closer to home makes better sense and accept two lesser paying jobs that are closer to home versus the big score that get's away.       R.

Randall C. Resch

Any service within 45 miles, Tows any distance out, if we got out and pick one up and return then nothing over 100 miles. But we have stretched it to 125-150 before. General when it gets to crazy we get a card number from the member/customer. I'd say you went way over and beyond, best you're going to see is the GOA to cover your fuel. The Lessons we Learn from being Burned. What is that Burn me once shame on the Motor Club, Burn me twice shame on ME.

We have had every motor club (except aaa) take advantage of our generosity and eagerness to help people in need in similar ways just like that. They will even get the supervisor on the line who PROMISES to pay the extra amount but when you submit it they send you the regular fee and claim nobody can authorize the amount in which you had agreed upon. Sorry it happened to you but that seems to be the way it goes.

ALSO customers in need will call every company that will respond to them and not bother to cancel the in route companies when the first one shows up. This is an incredible waste of resources and time.

So true! Thank you for your thoughts. I enjoy the responses from everyone... it makes me want to pull my hair out less! I'm learning to chuckle a little more when dealing with motor club's and customer's. LOL

Nicole

Agero is on our BLACKLIST for doing same thing.You dont have towers rights.Depending on what state you live in you have business owners rights.Technically both Agero and customer are responsible for your fees.You were doing what you were contracted to do in good faith and are owed money for this.Your service wasnt cancelled and you did go to scene as contracted there is not a goa here.Always collect from Agero in advance.We have gotten paid when legal action was started.If it is a substantial amount you might want to get a lawyer that deals in business law.

Kevin's American Towing Service
Ph: 631-654-8811

When you signed a contract with Agero, and or any other motor club you agreed per contract on how you are to be paid and for what services you are to be paid. It is a business transaction. Nobody at Agero is authorized to make exceptions to the contractual agreement. They do have a credit card to pay for exceptions. They are not your friend, or ally. They are merely a low bid, low budget client.On a good day.

Sadly, they got you. As time goes on you will get a feel for these situations. MUST get a cc up front and run it for at least what you would get for a goa before saddling up and heading out on it. Explain to the customer there will be two separate charges on their card at the completion of the service totaling the amount agreed upon. Explain that this is done to cover your expenses for dispatching your resources. If there is no cc available then its better to cut bait and walk then risk sending your man power and equipment out for nothing. The only towers rights you have are your own. Keep that in mind.

There are Tow Truck Drivers, Then There is Towing and Recovery operators...... Which one are you??🤨