Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Woman Trapped/Tow Truck Driver Injured (CA)

TowNews

Woman Trapped After Crash Into Tow Truck

11.24.2019 | 10:35 PM | LOS ANGELES - A woman had to be cut free from her vehicle after crashing into a tow truck, Sunday night. Authorities responded to reports of a traffic collision with a person trapped near the intersection of Western and 82nd in the Manchester Square area around 10:35 PM. Units arriving on scene located a red Chevrolet coupe that had crashed into a flatbed tow truck. The male tow truck driver was injured and the female driver of the Chevrolet was trapped in her vehicle. Firefighters used the jaws of life and other power tools to free the trapped woman within 15 minutes. Both victims were transported to area hospitals in unknown condition. The cause of the crash is under investigation.

RESOURCE LINK with video

I love watching these videos for the entertainment value they provide and the learning lessons I see. It's live the proverbial, "Where's Waldo", to find those, "what-if", details. This is an interesting video to watch relating to on-scene workers and PPE's. At the 2:41 mark there are as many as seven firefighters working to extract the victim. Of the seven, two are working with Jaws near and around the A'pillar and the front windshield. Although FF are supplied with gloves, as many as three aren't wearing gloves (gloves are hanging from their turnout coats), and only one FF involved in the extrication is wearing eye-protection as they tear back the windshield. What good are PPE's if they're not used. Also noted was the young man hovering around the rescue site who had to be directed out of the area who may have been a tow truck driver. Fast forward to 2:41 to see a bus bench with the public message of, "You shouldn't drive high", in the background. I know I too am been guilty of not wearing PPE's for every situation as it's easy to get wrapped up in the act of live rescue and recovery. But, if I see it on the 5 o'clock news, so can the agency's administrators. Pass this message on to your on-scene managers that they're responsible to ensure PPE's are being worn. God Bless the firefighters and law enforcement.    R.

Randall C. Resch