Quantcast
rreschran

Re: Do You Stage Tow Trucks for Law Enforcement?

I read that tow policy may change in Montgomery County, Texas, an approximate population of 500,000 +/-. As Montgomery County is a smaller city than Dallas or Houston, the on-coming tow rotation policy is said to require rotation tow trucks to respond within a 15-minute time period. The change may be moving from the current, "Chip-System", to a revised rotation process that eliminates past problems experienced by responding tow companies. As in any city that experiences traffic congestion during prime time hours, how many tow companies have dedicated tow trucks that are parked in strategic locations ready and waiting to serve at a moments notice? For smaller counties, cities and towns, I believe that 15-minutes on-scene arrival requirement is NOT much better (or safer) than the open, "chip-system", for tow truck response. The new ETA requirement still promotes tow trucks trying to get to an accident or incident scene in an expedite mode. The 15-minute response will promote a risk to the general and motoring public as tow trucks try and make their way through traffic at the request of law enforcement. And, because tow trucks don't have emergency lighting or the authority to respond, "Code-3", the 15-minute response isn't realistic. Considering best scenario conditions, it's unreasonable for a 25,000-pound flatbed carrier to make it across town at rush hour in 15-minutes. Obviously, Montgomery County failed to consider the wrongful death settlement of more than $78 million awarded to a woman struck by a Domino's driver in December 1989. Do you remember their delivery campaign, "Thirty-minutes or it's free?" If you haven't heard of it ... Google it and learn a valuable and dangerous lesson in timed-response. For San Diego, California, city police tow operators, staging tow trucks is the most favorable way to meet on-time ETA's. While staging may be a better means or option to serve a rotation contract, it's a logistical and financial nightmare for smaller companies.  What do to you think?  R.   

Randall C. Resch

I think the rotation contract better have significant value if I am going to stage dedicated response trucks. That said, if you agree to a 15 minute response time then there really isn't much else to do but have drivers in equipment ready to roll in strategic locations. Pointing to the Domino's case, failure to do so or provide other reasonable preparedness could epose the tow boss, and potentially the drivers, to legal actions in the event of a crash or other injury while attempting to meet the unrealistic response time frame.

In my county at home we only stage trucks during inclimate weather, and then only the towers that have contracts with PennDOT for guaranteed response usually do so.

When I was in Albuquerque we would stage trucks when APD was doing DUI checkpoints. It was a given that they would have a dozen or more impounds during a shift just from the checkpoint, and since the light duty got all calls in their sector for the entire week we knew all those calls on top of the standard volume would need to be covered. We would be notified in advance, usually, and bring in extra staff to cover the impounds. Keep in mind, this was before their asset forfeiture rules were deemed unlawful, so I have no idea how aggressively the impound for DUI today.

Staging is common around here, but looking at the numbers we were not seeing the return on having a truck seating there waiting for a call. We se stopped the officers complained we were taking to long. By contract we have 30 minutes, they got spoiled at 10 minutes when the truck was staged. It all came down to volume and they just didn't have the volume to justify a 10 minute respond time. Now it's at least twice that... Good thing we're not on rotation...