Quantcast
WG114

Shop tire machine

I am looking into tire machines for our shop. I found this ATTC301. I was curious if any of you have one or know of anyone that has purchased one in the past. I am looking for some type of review prior to me purchasing it. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-TTC301-Heavy-Duty-Truck-Tire-Changer

Edited by WG114

blue dawn dish soap and water + good set of bars and you will be faster and money ahead . i did tires for years and when it was med or heavy stuff i skipped the machine and was done in no time . now they have special bar heads that make it even faster . air out / pop bead / jamb unit in / flop 1 time / reset to next bead / flop 2nd time and tire is off .

the place i worked did TONS of big truck tires out of many shops in the famialy of shops and even had rim refurb and full tire re-cap or ring tread service and they just used bar's . no machines i ever saw . even the 1 guy in his mid 70's would kick our yung kids butt's by hand .

ex-tow truck operator . ex- auto mechanic . just a nice guy trying to make a living and enjoy life .

1987 k30 chevy 1ton 4x4 built from scratch truck as my daily driver - work truck .

I have no experience with that exact atlas but from my experience with atlas tire machine and balancers they are junk. Have you ever heard the expression you get what you pay for? Save your money! If you have a Greg Smith close by go experience it first hand they have a show room a couple hundred miles from me and I went and looked at lifts they are willing to let you try anything they sale. Honestly if you are wanting to do heavy duty I think you are best with bars except the 19.5's I do them on a coats but 22.5 & 24.5's I use bars and for a balancer I tried several and the best one I found is a manual coats the heavy duty tires are so heavy that it continues to burn up the drive motors and aren't that accurate. Good luck on your purchase

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I'm sending input from the negative side, but a huge safety consideration none-the-less. For the upcoming, American Towman Magazine, December issue, I wrote an article having to do with exploding tires. I too used tire bars and soapy water for years until a friend of mine was nearly cut-in-half by an exploding tire ring. The main feature of any modern machine is a cage or built in structure device to hold the tire in-place as the tire's being aired. If you're still changing tires by manual labor and no cage, you might just have a death wish. Check out this video and you'll agree that tire changing is dangerous work.     Link: 

Randall C. Resch

a tire cage should be a given item of equipment in a tire shop for these tires .

years ago i had a lawn mower tire pop open on me and blew the dust off the shop walls .

also old tires always look for weather cracking and dry rot . do not put air in them unless your crazy or life insurance and medical is up to date . guy i use to work with aired up some tires on a old semi trailer that was used for storage use being moved to a new home up the road . good thing it was a inside tire when it blew apart . he did how ever get a messed up hand 25% loss of motion and use and a 30-40% loss of hearing in 1 ear .

ex-tow truck operator . ex- auto mechanic . just a nice guy trying to make a living and enjoy life .

1987 k30 chevy 1ton 4x4 built from scratch truck as my daily driver - work truck .