Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Holmes 480 winches only go in one direction after "repair"

BobJ

Holmes 480 winch having an issue after I worked on it. Now right winch only goes up, left winch only goes down when respective winch levers engaged forward or to the rear. Lever controls themselves work and engage properly. Controls neutrals still work properly. Worked great before I "fixed" it haha.

I replaced the two large drive gear bearings in front cover, and the two input shaft bearings. Also removed worm brake linings and rear cover(s) to repair an oil leak.

Any thoughts? Thinking something to do with worm gear action, but not much info out there.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, jeff myer said:

try    blue steel tool 2309 n 5th st  union tenn.  38261  731-885-2404.   they have a lot of old Holmes parts and can probably tell you what is wrong    hope this helps

Thanks. Appreciate input. Going to make a list of places dealing in Holmes and blue steel currently at top of it.

If it wasn't raining for next two weeks I would pull it apart. Just need to think about how and why it's doing what it's doing maybe...

Thanks again.

14 hours ago, jeff myer said:

Give them a call they might be able to walk you through it and fix it might be a simple fix if it worked before

Thanks. I'm thinking it must be something simple as well. I didn't get that deep into it and bearings were new old stock identical replacements. Feel kind of guilty taking up their time, will disassemble and have another look before contacting them.

11 hours ago, Kjband13oc said:

If it is ,most likely shift fork in wrong place on shaft.

Thanks. that does look like my gearbox.

I didn't have it far enough apart to mess with shift fork, but the shaft between linkage and shift fork on right side has an extreme amount of play.(up/down and in/out) Enough to allow one rain storm to fill up gearbox with water then freeze, pushing input shaft seal out. (Lucky it didn't crack case) But everything functioned properly after that.

No clunks or noises first time I put in pto after working on it.

Don't believe I got the large and small worm gears (71 and 74) mixed up. Assembled large gear to right side as per illustration (unless it's a mirror image) Not sure improper assembly is even possible? That said I didn't get at rear worm gears and I have one direction on each winch drum=Hmmmm.  Will check bad shift fork shaft operation, then going to pull front cover back off and have one more look. While apart I will tie off controls and move input shaft by hand to see what's going on.

If you look at diagram it's not that complex changing two large bearings going into front cover and the two input shaft bearings, but has outsmarted me so far... haha.

i have a whole unit with low hr's if you needed a newer setup but sounds like you got it .

nice parts blow up also thanks for posting .

ex-tow truck operator . ex- auto mechanic . just a nice guy trying to make a living and enjoy life .

1987 k30 chevy 1ton 4x4 built from scratch truck as my daily driver - work truck .

2 hours ago, sweetk30 said:

i have a whole unit with low hr's if you needed a newer setup but sounds like you got it .

nice parts blow up also thanks for posting .

Thanks, wouldn't be surprised if it was cheaper to buy yours in long run. This one seems to have had a lifetime of terrible hack repairs before I got it. That it still functions at all is testament to how tough they are.

Would really like to put tow body on diesel 1 ton 4x4, but tow truck insurance is off the scale in these parts. Deck truck insurance much cheaper. Found that out after I bought it haha. 

Just a yard toy/project I have been throwing money and time at until I can figure out what to do with it. Lately it's been handy for taking down dead trees and clearing windfalls off fences etc.  Propane power not very handy when it never leaves the yard.

ya mine was from a real low hr / mileage 1969 c-60 with a napco 4x4 package . the 4x4 stuff was swapped to a newer truck and i got the old 480 setup as part payment . looking at wear points and such its low hr's i would bet . the over 10 years he had it before if not 20 years it sat 98% of the time and got used 3-4 times and that was it .

i would love to keep it but my plans changed and have no real use for it now . i have the original holmes bed with small rust but easy to fix / the sling needs rubber but i have some for it / pto shaft and frame brackets . missing lever link arms they were paper thin . but super easy to make new .

ex-tow truck operator . ex- auto mechanic . just a nice guy trying to make a living and enjoy life .

1987 k30 chevy 1ton 4x4 built from scratch truck as my daily driver - work truck .

17 hours ago, sweetk30 said:

ya mine was from a real low hr / mileage 1969 c-60 with a napco 4x4 package . the 4x4 stuff was swapped to a newer truck and i got the old 480 setup as part payment . looking at wear points and such its low hr's i would bet . the over 10 years he had it before if not 20 years it sat 98% of the time and got used 3-4 times and that was it .

i would love to keep it but my plans changed and have no real use for it now . i have the original holmes bed with small rust but easy to fix / the sling needs rubber but i have some for it / pto shaft and frame brackets . missing lever link arms they were paper thin . but super easy to make new .

Man C60 4x4=drool drool haha. What part of country are you in?

3 hours ago, rreschran said:

Another source:  Randy Olson Peak Wrecker Sales, San Antonio ... 800-638-9603. He knows everyone in the industry on the building and manufacture side.     R.

Another excellent resource. Thanks.

upstate new york .

she was a animal for sure . she had to be put to pasture cause the cab was paper thin . the 4x4 guts went under a 1982 with a twin line hydro holmes unit and wheel lift . she is a real animal now . 38" tires and 7.20 gears = real slow but when she gets there she wont stop working for ya .

6 hours ago, sweetk30 said:

upstate new york .

she was a animal for sure . she had to be put to pasture cause the cab was paper thin . the 4x4 guts went under a 1982 with a twin line hydro holmes unit and wheel lift . she is a real animal now . 38" tires and 7.20 gears = real slow but when she gets there she wont stop working for ya .

That sounds pretty interesting. Do you have any pics of it?

i have some of both old and new . but i am not use to this forums ways of loading pics much so its hard for me . the few i have posted here for other stuff have taken me some time to figure it all out .

Edited by sweetk30

its not that . i am not use to the hosing site stuff is all then dig threw and find them from there and then link them over .

this forums layout and design is WAY different from the stuff i have been use to for years is all .

no fellings hurt here . i can type some stories out like nothing but the more tech it gets the more i get lost .

hell i am pi$$ed that windows 7 is going bye bye the end of the year . . . . i tried win 10 and hated it . i have a tablet for the efi system on my truck to tune it but i barley get good at it with that .

Yeah, I hear... However once I begin to use a new system I quickly forget what the old system did that cuased me to want to hold out. It's sorta like the old guys in towing industry that held on to the mechanical wreckers when the popularity on hydraulics was growing. I recall companies putting those guys in a hydraulic when their truck was down. A couple of runs without pulling the bumpers and they didn't look back. Oh yeah, they complained it just didn't pull like the mechanical wrecker. In the end it was just different and as they aged they were able to keep working longer. Sadly at the end more than half had already beaten their bodies up to the point they couldn't work past 65 or 70 years of age. LOL and newbies want to retire at 55 knowing all along it ain't gonna happen. If you need assistance with those images just send them to me.