Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Curious, why this way?

Tow411

This Topic was Originally Created by hdtowman65 in December of 2005:

OK, what are the advantages, dis advantages of having the boom mounted opp. direction. Is it just preferance? Seems maybe you get full capacity from your boom more this way, both sides and tail without having to extend, where as standard way only off sides, unless its a SLIDER or TRAVELER.

f041c3e2272e2f5b99592b29396bea610172d31b

Gale25yrs said:

If I remember right there were some of the units special ordered this way from Miller to go to Japan. The thing would be heavier on the tail than normal but if your doing mostly recovery then the reach of the back is maximized.

wstowing11 said:

Oh,what a sidewinder could do for that truck!

When we first looked at a tator from Miller in the early years of the 40 and 50 tonners my father wanted his mounted like this and there was some concerns and the unit never came to be. Later another tower in Baltimore ended up with a crane chassis with his mounted like this.

I can see a definate advantage of @ 8-10 feet of reach over a conventional mount. That creating an advantage on lifting capabilities within boom rating off the tailboard and possibly on the rear corners. Getting the angle on the lift and being able to reach your lifting capabilities.

The Japanese might be able to help us with this one because it seems like they have alot mounted like this one over there in Japan.