Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Company owned phone vs BYOD

Just curious how many provide a company owner phone or tablet to your drivers vs how many allow your employees to BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) such as their personal cell phone or tablet to use for running the Digital Dispatches and such for your company. 

There's pros/cons to both sides of this:

- Employees care more about THEIR phone/tables, and will take better care of it to not damage it vs, if it's not theirs, they don't care if they break it

- Potential for an employee to assert a claim against you IF their equipment gets broken in the course of their work, then you might be on the hook for paying for the replacement, vs, company owned equipment is company owned equipment

- Tracking & Privacy: With the Digital Dispatching and other apps that track your location, there's a concern about breach of privacy for the employee potentially always being "followed" the the GPS/App, unless they log out of it on their personal device, vs, company owned equipment can always be tracked (as a company asset) and can be left at home while off-duty/not working. 

So what are you doing? Is your company providing the phone/tablet to your employees or are you allowing your employees to use their own device with your software/App/Digital Dispatch?? Thanks for your responses in advance!

~ I'm not an attorney, nor do I represent to be one. I provide my personal opinion and that on behalf of myself, my company and our operations.

• 1 month later...

BYOD here, have never had a damage claim but realistically there is a device repair shop on every corner anymore and if I had an employee that said something I would just pay the 100 bucks to replace a screen or whatever. All employees have their own password for dispatching software, credit card processing, door and gate entry.  If they quit we just remove them and they are locked out. Any tracking of the phone when they are not on duty can be disabled by them at their discretion however if it is disabled while working they cannot receive calls.

“At the end of the day people won't remember what you said or did, they will remember how you made them feel.”