Quantcast
Guest Tow inquiry

CTTA vs. WreckMaster

Guest Tow inquiry

I relocated to Tx from Ca; I had gained my heavy duty level 6 training through CTTA in CA. I’ve worked extremely hard over the years to gain experience and training. But, I was recently told by my new boss that my CTTA certification and training had no merit outside of CA. because it was not from WreckMaster (nationally recognized).

My question is can the training I received via CTTA be compared or equivalent to training received via WreckMast? If not then can someone explain the differences? (As side from the fact that CTTA is in Ca) 

Call Wreckmaster and they can discuss it with you. What I understand is CTTA is more California situational centric while Wreckmaster is broader taking in scenarios you would see anywhere in north america. Give them a call- they are super nice folks and have always been great to work with for us.

From California ... Hey Guest Inquiry ... Lucky you ... you've escaped all the crap California has to offer, except for the great weather.

Because you list no information on your profile, I don't know if this is some corporate spying, but I'll refer you to the proper persons with information other than CTTA or WreckMaster people. I just now called, Tommy Anderson, Director at SW Tow Operators Association, in Texas, regarding your question.

Tommy says, "Unfortunately, your boss is correct." As far as California's wrecker criteria, your CTTA heavy certificate is a good only IF you're in California, but TDLR has Texas specific requirements for Texas tow operators.

Texas Regulations & Licensing TDLR:   https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/towing/towrules.htm

I refer you to Tommy Anderson at 214-202-4936. Give Tommy a call and he can tell you what you need to attain Texas certification and testing. All training is good training, but, all programs are NOT recognized by TDLR.       R.

Randall C. Resch

Guest Guest tow inquiry

Rreschran.. thanks a lot. Not corporate spying. Just having trouble getting my boss to recognize the skills I have. I appreciate the information. 

OK ... understood. CTTA is one of the leading training entities in the towing and recovery industry as is WreckMaster. Both are recognized by the California HIghway Patrol on their tow service agreement. Your boss can go to the CHP's Tow Service Agreement and to the very last page to see those training entities accepted by the CHP. Here's the link: https://www.chp.ca.gov/ResearchAndPlanningSectionSite/Documents/2019-2020_TSA.pdf 

For what it's worth, I have been an accepted light-duty for CHP for 19-years and I too am on that same list. The CHP will not accept any training entity without having a "hands-on" module (skills presentation).

Note:  If I was the tow company owner and you came to me with a CTTA Level 6 certificate that wasn't expired, I'd be inclined to give your application a closer look. You still have to comply with TDLR's criteria that won't recognize the CTTA certificate. Give Tommy Anderson a call ... you're welcome.

Randall C. Resch