Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Synthetic winch rope

Alstow

love it off road ........ but i will still use my steel cable for towing / wreck work .

and you do know there is specific pulley's and fair-leads for synthetic to keep it from tearing / and getting bound up .

just buy your self a good B/A cable with the yellow swivel clam shell hook and one on the drum all the way up to the fair-lead give here a bath in used oil for the night dont need a ton let it soak in and run it . i only ever popped 1 cable from age rust out and a hard pull my self on the truck i used for almost 5 years and it was the cable on it when i was given the truck to use at my old job .

one time he got some cheep off brand cables and the first pull or 2 the cable was sliding threw the end crimp and ready to pop out . so from then on only B/A for me if i have my choice .

Edited by sweetk30

ex-tow truck operator . ex- auto mechanic . just a nice guy trying to make a living and enjoy life .

1987 k30 chevy 1ton 4x4 built from scratch truck as my daily driver - work truck .

Several of our military HMMWVs, LTATVs and RG-33s had synthetic rope for a trial period. It was removed after several months because it didn't stand-up to the abuse of our off-road operations in the rocks, sand and trees, specifically, if it got abraded. If a company is a winch-on winch-off business or one owner company who cared about the rope's use, I think it could last longer than having multiple operators use and abuse it like they would steel cable.I like the safety factor of, "No Memory", but overall, I too would stick with a quality designed cable with a clam shell swivel hook.      R.

• Like 1

Randall C. Resch

• 2 weeks later...

I was going back and forth recently on replacing the line on our 16 series bed with synthetic. In the end I kept the steel on it. The primary driver is as old school as it comes and I'm not confident that he'll always look after the rope and not let it touch anything abrasive. If I was the only driver of the truck I'd replace the steel with synthetic in a heart beat, but I know how well I take care of stuff vs. others. 

• 3 months later...

I have been using synthetic rope for the past five years and I love it. I have used it with the regular fairlead and never came unbraided, nor did it ever break. It is so nice to handle and work with. It NEVER bird nests on the drum, or cut your hands. I have always been spectacle about it's true strength so we use it with a snatch block back to the front of the bed, because I have pulled some bodacious loads  up on the bed.