Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Re: The Reason for Advanced Warning

Hi All ... a crash in Hawaii where friends were helping friends in a breakdown situation trying to remove a disabled SUV.

THIS WAS NOT A TOW TRUCK INVOLVED FATALITY.

See the link:  https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2019/10/24/hawaii-man-is-killed-while-securing-tow-straps-vehicle-crash-arizona/

There are many similarities and lessons learned from this crash which are applicable to our industry, i.e., several of the victims struck were lying under and between the disabled vehicle looking to attach tow straps. The front vehicle was set in position to pull the disabled SUV. Another vehicle was stopped and parked behind the disabled SUV in a live traffic lane with no flares or cones to announce their presence. In police work ... those potentially deadly possibilities are called, "Deadly Sins".

This scenario leads me to the importance of parents providing roadside service to their teenager's car with instructions to not attempt this dangerous process. But, because some of the youths were said to be aspiring mechanics, that would certainly introduce the get er' done mindset. What a horrible accident, but there are lessons learned for sure.

If your a parent or grandparent, this incident is one to share with your kids with hopes that they will call roadside service, or call you because there's a tow truck in the family.  Share this on your Facebook page or other social media. Christine and I pray for the victims and their families.     R.

Edited by rreschran
addtional sentence

Randall C. Resch

I started using advanced warning many years ago and the very first time I set flares out saved my life. I had a car go off the road on an icy night. Approximately 100 yards before the car in the ditch was a tight curve and I didn't see the car until I was almost on top of it. I decided to put a line of flares out before the curve to get traffic slowed down before they got into the curve. With my advance warning set up I went to work winching the car out. About 5 minutes into the recovery I heard screeching tires from the other side of the curve. A car was flying down the road and hit the brakes when they saw the flares. He slid quite a ways before getting control and stopping. If I hadn't set up advance warning he wouldn't have started stopping into he was right on top of me, most likely hitting me in the process. Ever since then I've been a fork believer of advance warning.

20190731_143309.thumb.jpg.2a5edb5499d2c4a59c3b6b4b6dd86d5a.jpg

These are the kind of, "survival stories", I like to read about. It's a matter of changing one's on-scene safety mentality that identifies an active work-zone BEFORE work commences. All the excuses in the world 9as they relate to flares and cones) take the same amount of time talking about them as it takes to just set them up. Cones and flares and over-head emergency lighting should go hand-in-hand with every roadside scenario be it crash, recovery or simple service. And understanding the reasons to get off scene as quick as possible being a priority, on-scene, I agree with you that pre-advanced warning is a technique every tower should initiate.  Note:  Cheap Shameless Plug Alert:  If you're headed to Atlantic City for this year's American Towman tow show, I invite you to attend my photo presentation on this topic     R.

Randall C. Resch

i also had these for night time use or if i needed a little extra on the truck or tailgate of a wheel lift vehicle being towed . i was always waiting to loose one from the magnets on todays thin metal but i never did and new york upstate has some bad roads .

all my local PD and FIRE guys loved them at night time .

6hr burn time on full charge / 9 patterns / water proof to 36feet / and more . . . . bonus they sit on a road cone top also real night to have a cone AND led flashing .

i got the recharge ones so i  do not need to change batteries out . they come with a usb cord and 110 and 12 volt adapter so you have 3 ways to charge .

Edited by sweetk30

ex-tow truck operator . ex- auto mechanic . just a nice guy trying to make a living and enjoy life .

1987 k30 chevy 1ton 4x4 built from scratch truck as my daily driver - work truck .

I personally like hockey puck lights. Advanced lighting and the devices being used are a choice of towers who are using them ... it's that old Ford, Chevy Dodge thing. The key is, "USING THEM". Each has their own unique-ness as to how they operate, store and, to what response they generate to the motoring public? Me being old-school, I prefer cones and flares. Cones are a little hard to store on some trucks because of their size, but they're durable and long lasting, especially when motorists run over them. Flares are the international  signal of distress. Their bright, florescent color demands attention, yet they're worthless if not protected from the elements and when they get run-over by the motoring public. Flares send the message of distress, but they are highly problematic when being used in any state where wildfire is a sure possibility. That's why most LE agencies are favorite to reflective cones. Hockey pucks require a designated power source and need maintenance; they too are as good until they are run-over by the motoring public. Keeping the motoring public off of and out of our traffic problem is the problem, but, advanced emergency warning is only as good when cones, flares or pucks are deployed.  Whatever your doing ... keep them charged and keep using them.   R.

Randall C. Resch

i have heard there trying to go away from flares a bit cause if there is a big wreck and fuel is spilled it could be a problem . were as my led hockey pucks dont emit a open flame .

i also noticed with cones i got some respect from traffic slowing and moving . but when you stick them red led hockey pucks out i got a TON more respect from them .

i tended to use what i figure was needed at the time as most of us tend to do a lot . its just good to have backup plan and options .

ex-tow truck operator . ex- auto mechanic . just a nice guy trying to make a living and enjoy life .

1987 k30 chevy 1ton 4x4 built from scratch truck as my daily driver - work truck .

I have a total of 7 Hockey Puck Style Electronic Flares. I have gotten hit by them a couple of times. They used to get run over more often then they do now, but then since I got the Guardian Angel with a Belt Clip. I do not put them out unless the recovery is going to take enough time to justify them.

I actually have two of them. One with the shoulder mount, however on my belt I always have it. Might get another belt clip and add one to the other side. I dunno, some have suggested it. I think it would look silly, but if silly saves my life I am game....