Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Re: Another Canadian Tower Added to the Wall

rreschran

Hi All ... It's finally done. My year long project of research and applying to have a Canadian tow operator added to the Wall of the Fallen is finally complete. This last Saturday, I had the honor and privileged to meet the adult children of, Edgar Arthur Pilon, a Canadian tow operator who died in December 1954. Christine and I met Mr. Pilon's family at the Wall of the Fallen memorial where the family drove 1,700 miles from Lancaster, Ontario, Canada to be in Chattanooga to witness their father's name being added to the Wall. And, with them, son Richard Pilon, brought with him (to show me) the watch that their father was wearing at the time he was killed. The watch was stopped at 6:10. Also, he brought his father's Zippo lighter which his father was carrying when he was struck ... the Zippo was heavily dented. These were silent reminders of a father who was killed in the line of duty. Christine and I spent the day hosting them to the Wall of the Fallen memorial, into the museum, and ultimately we went to lunch. If you haven't heard of this incident or this event, here's a link to an article written in Canada's Glengarry News.   Link:   https://www.pressreader.com/canada/the-glengarry-news/20190925/281479278137229

And, from my archives Mr. Pilon is the oldest, recorded Canadian tow operator killed in the line-of-duty. I now list 36x Canadian tow operators who were killed in tow related accidents and incidents.     R.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Randall C. Resch

Sylvia and I were at the ceremony. It is always a touching experience when they call the name of a tower that has been added to memorial. I'm sure the family members appreciate your efforts to honor Edgar. Thank you for the background information. there is always more than just a name that goes on the wall.

Joe

Thank you Joe for your words of support. Christine and I got to have lunch with Mr. Pilon's adult children and family members. They drove 1,700 miles from Canada to Chattanooga to see their father's name added to the Wall. And yes, they were very appreciative indeed.  Son Richard brought with him the watch his father was wearing at the moment he was killed as well as his favorite Zippo lighter. The watch had stopped the moment his was killed showing the time of 6:10 and the Zippo was dented from the crushing impact.      R

Randall C. Resch

• 2 weeks later...

Today, Richard Pilon, son of Edgar Pilon, along with his siblings, had the Wall of the Fallen certificate (they received at the Wall of the fallen Memorial) permanently mounted to his father's headstone in, Lancaster, Ontario, Canada. The family was very humbled and appreciative that their father was recognized. Richard sent me this picture and I'd like to share it with you.     R.

Pilon Plaque Graveside.jpg

• Like 1

Randall C. Resch