Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Knuckleboom recovery

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

We did this recovery about 30 miles away. Car in a culvert. We took a spreader bar with us, but decided not to use it. Between the rain and traffic, we wanted to spend as little time as possible on a car that was totaled. We ran a wide strap under the place on the car where it landed on the cement partition.

• Like 3

One of our very talented heavy operators (serving the highway patrol) was told he could not use a knuckle-boom for recoveries. His unit was mounted to a tractor and Landoll where he recovered many pickups pulling trailers in the southern California desert regions. He got rid of the unit and currently uses a 3 axle heavy with a carrier to work the same type of recovery. I personally like their versatility in most situation.     R.

Randall C. Resch

I don't know why they would not allow a unit like this to be used for a recovery. Our truck is also a tractor. The flatbed can be removed and it has a 5th wheel for pulling trailers. My intention is to get a landoll trailer to pull with this truck similar to your operator's prior unit. I would have to look into that and see if there is an issue here in Iowa and surrounding states.

Thanks for the input!

Joe

Hi Joe ... the California Highway Patrol is in the dark with certain types of towing and recovery equipment. For example, the CHP's Tow Service Agreement (TSA) states that a flatbed carrier is not a recovery truck and shall not be used for recovery. While I believe this is an administrative statement, CHP officers at scene allow towers to conduct rollovers all the time, even if the casualty is on its roof.  As in the many past years, California's tow association has done nothing to educate the highway patrol as to what can and can be done with a flatbed carrier as well as a semi-mounted knuckle-boom crane working with a Landoll type trailer. Before you spend big dollars on a heavy flatbed transporter, you'd be a wise man to see if your knuckle-boom is allowed by your state's highway patrol. And, if they don't know what it's capable of, invite them to a recovery presentation to show them what it can do. I personally like the combination. Best regards.     R. 

• Like 2

Randall C. Resch

We ran knuckleboom  cranes for more than 25 years  and we had several on our fleet ....

.the applications were  both for recovery work and general haulage  and  I found them an excellent tool in allsorts of different situations

We had attachments to enhance capabilities with ease ..ie    brick grab,  street lifter,  fork lift frame ...clam grab .....etc 

Numerous times we were able to get into places where the rotators couldn't get near.....

The knuckleboom is very popular throughout Europe .. and with the correct training and certification  are accepted on all police contracts...

I strongly agree with Randall ...that some sort of presentation  or interaction  event  would certainly help  satisfy the police of the capabilities 

We think it will be a valuable piece of equipment for our fleet. We also have the forklift attachment, although we haven't had a use for it yet. The reception by those that have watched it in use has been all positive. The recovery in this post would have taken much longer and closed the road with most other equipment.  In our area, law enforcement is very easy to get along with and we do everything we can for each other to do our jobs as efficiently as possible.

Thank you all for your replies and information.

Joe

• Like 1