Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

It's the Work Boots you don't see first!

TowZone

To answer your question abut the number of towers killed this year, so far, I've recorded 50x towers killed in the US, Canada and other international places around the world, 6x of those shot or stabbed, 7x Industrial accidents, 17x in driving related crashes, 25x in highway related crashes or shoulder incidents. There are other lists by other individuals where the numbers may be plus or minus that may include towers who were killed off-duty. My approximated list doesn't include towers who passed away from (natural) medical reasons or killed in traffic crashes off-duty. None-the-less, my current count is one-less tower killed than last year's totaling of 51x operators killed ...  with another 3-months left this year in this year, I pray that we don't add any more to the list.     R.

Randall C. Resch

Yes, many compiling lists are adding every tow operator that has passed in order to sensationalize the tower deaths. That 60+ a year should only reflect Roadside, criminal and accidental in the line of preforming their duties.

I do not even want to say this but I feel it must be brought to the attention of those who may find themselves in situation which requires more attention. Statistically a Tow Operator will be struck within the next 4 days.

Once again Ron ... you've hit the proverbial nail on the head. After 25-years of recording tow operator fatalities, I've grown tired of doing so. I'm not in it to sensationalize nothing, but it's provided me a path in looking towards the causes of tow operator fatalities. Lessons learned provide the who, what, when, why, and how details to hopefully learn ways to promote survival, but towers oftentimes ignore the clear-cut signs that are so obvious. So, based on asking the question that you present, "How to you bring (operator survival) to the attention of every tower?" It's really baffling to me that we, as an industry, aren't effectively doing enough to help curtail operator fatalities as a collective unit of owners, operators, state tow associations and those so-called lobbyists. I'll present this question ... "Why do we towers respond to work the killing fields if we don't have the federal and state support and tools to do so?" Anybody game?     R.

Randall C. Resch

If anyone can pinpoint a reason tow operators are being killed then speak up. I have looked at this many years. A tow op can do everything right and the tragic outcome still occurs. Other times a lack of safety was present yet may not have made a difference. But, take every precaution you can.

This is a Code Red Weekend. A Tower Statistically will be struck in the next 4 days.

Sent from my SM-G950U using TowForce mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Cell phones and text messaging by the drivers of other vehicles. These people should be dealt with more severely by the justice system too. Texting while driving is much worse than drinking and driving in my book; drinking impairs your ability to operate a motor vehicle. Sending text messages on a cellphone is making the decision to intentionally not look where you are driving. We need some Mad Mothers Against Running Over Roadside Workers.

just my $.02

Mark