Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

THIS HAS TO STOP EVERYWHERE SOON! UPDATED 09.25.19

TowForce

If the Towing & Recovery Industry does not address this Rogue Towing problem with Force in 2019. Then it is going to come down hard on every Legit Towing Company in 2020. The can has been kicked down the road long enough it must STOP ASAP!!! Every Towing Association needs to organize and speak up, these companies conducting business in this manner are "Not Your Members"

Now What as an Association Leader, Member or just a Legit Company going to do about it. Don't say "It's Not My Problem" because "IT HAS BEEN" "IT IS" and "IT SOON WILL BE IN YOUR FACE" That $300 to $400 you legitimately charge will be cut in half. As for the ROUGE TOWERS well they'll just keep doing business as usual. It's kinda like regulating GUNS, that only effects the Law Abiding Gun Owners. Make Sense? Just Look at TDLR so approach this in a different manner as that backfired on Texas... We said when we first heard what they wanted to do, TDLR would only go after Legit Tow Companies. The Government will only go after Legit Gun Owners. Legit Towers will pay a price for inaction...

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/rogue-tow-truck-drivers-hold-cars-hostage-run-up-bills-and-chicago-could-have-ended-it-all-years-ago/

The video is right on when it comes to just how the motoring public views this industry. However, chill out lady ... it's my opinion that your car wasn't stolen, but your car was towed under some questionable pretenses. You weren't there to know what was said or transpired. Perhaps the Illinois Tow Truck Association should be putting some collective pressure on LE with the aid of the media to formalize a list of approved towers. If the police chief says, ... (stalling) "We don't do it", then there should be forward action on the association's part to demand a better answer. Some cities and states' across the nation have vehicle code laws against scanning and cruising for hire. In California, Section 22513 a and b is specific to tow trucks on-scene.

22513.  (a) Except as provided in subdivision (b) or (c), the owner or operator of a tow truck who complies with the requirements of this
code relating to tow trucks may stop or park the tow truck upon a highway for the purpose of rendering assistance to a disabled
vehicle.

(b) It is a misdemeanor for the owner or operator of a tow truck to stop at the scene of an accident or near a disabled vehicle for
the purpose of soliciting an engagement for towing services, either directly or indirectly, or to furnish any towing services, unless
summoned to the scene, requested to stop, or flagged down by the owner or operator of a disabled vehicle or requested to perform the
service by a law enforcement officer or public agency pursuant to that agency's procedures.

At some point, public sentiment should be the primary driving factor in helping to make these kinds of illegal practices just that ... illegal. And, if I'm a fully legit tow company, I'd want to see an end to rogue practices. This kind of tow scenario has been going on for as long as I can remember, but until action is taken, nothing will change. Note: Section B is a, "misdemeanor", meaning, the violating tow operator can be arrested, taken to jail and the tow truck impounded for evidence. So .. if court doesn't go to trial for two months and a tow truck is evidence of that case, what's to say that the tow truck stays in impound until it goes to court? Accordingly, how much will an attorney cost to fight this kind of arrest? Read California's section carefully as it's worded specifically toward towers not working in the up and up. I'm sure that if more cops were to be involved and monitor those arriving tow trucks .. the tow truck was either called, requested or dispatched (?) those are questions cops need to ask before the tow truck departs. If a local tower goes to jail ... you can bet that WORD will travel fast.    R.

• Like 1

Randall C. Resch

That is something that the political leaders in Chicago must address. I am of the opinion that the politicians are probably getting kickbacks to sit on their thumbs. 

You as a business owner are always going to pay for the grifters of an industry. Legitimate technicians working on cars do, wrecker companies do, carperters do, reposession adjusters do, and police officers do. I can holler at the top of my lungs, but nobody cares. Most people do not care until they get fleeced by the grifter faction. I trust my three dogs, my girlfriend, and about a handful of other in a catastrophic moment. I can not solve the problems of the world when people do not care and trust politicians to do the right thing. Get a dog, hug your family and enjoy life. You only spin around once!

• Thanks 1

The motoring public has a hand in this too. If I provide you a business card with Donald Trump and Bill Gates' picture on the back ... does that make be a bazillionaire? Tow trucks typically have names, phone numbers and license plates. If they weren't called, make it a point to tell them, "No Go", and then file a complaint. We've had formal rotation contracts here for years and they've eliminated much of the illicit practices. Law enforcement has stepped up their presence to actually approach those tow trucks that mysteriously arrive, but weren't called to the scene.

Formal rotations here aren't 100-percent fool-proof, but they certainly have cut the incidents of poaching, cruising and aggressive expediting.   R. 

• Thanks 1

Randall C. Resch

What is P.T.R.O.I. doing to get out in front of this snow ball they have allowed to grow this large already.

I hear Cricket's! If this is not an association issue, then why have an association.

I can tell you why the police do not want to see their current system change.

Response Times and Kick Backs, That Gravy Train has been running for years.

Tell Me I Am Wrong>>>>> and I Will Shut Up!!!!

How Philadelphia Stopped The Rogue Tow Truck Drivers Plaguing Chicago

CHICAGO (CBS) – While the City of Chicago struggles with rogue tow truck drivers who rip off motorists for thousands of dollars in fees, the city of Philadelphia addressed that problem about 10 years ago.

In Philly, the city requires tow truck companies to be on a city-approved list. The drivers work on a rotational basis. There are 30 companies on the list, and they are allowed to operate in up to four of six geographical areas. A company at the top of the list gets the assigned tow and then moves to the bottom. The city also requires the operators to respond to a call within 20 minutes.

Philadelphia has operated under this system for 10 years. Illinois passed a law in 2008 that allows police to call a private company to tow a vehicle. But, because it’s a city of more than 1 million, Chicago is exempt and officials haven’t shown a willingness to allow it. As a result, accident-chasing tow drivers show up on a scene and take advantage of motorists, charging them thousands of dollars for tows and storage.

“It has not stopped wreck-chasing entirely, but it has certainly helped the City tighten up the enforcement process against bad actors and enhanced the effectiveness of the rotational towing program,” said Philadelphia city spokeswoman Maita Soukup.

The city imposes a standard fee for the tow and storage fees. The towing fees range from $215 to $400, depending on the weight of the vehicle.  The daily storage fee ranges from $25 to $75.

Tow truck operators face fines up to $1,000 for drivers who repeatedly violate the city’s ordinance.

Philadelphia also requires tow truck drivers to have a smart phone with internet access and a photo ID.

New York City has operated a similar program for more than 30 years. Towing fees there range from $125 to $140. Storage is $25 per day for three days, then increases to $27.

The list of approved operators are called to an accident by police, who are responsible for maintaining the list of companies.

The city acknowledges that illegal tows are still among the top complaints. New York’s Department of Consumer and Work Protection recently launched an investigation into tow truck insurance fraud.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, TowForce said:

How Philadelphia Stopped The Rogue Tow Truck Drivers Plaguing Chicago

CHICAGO (CBS) – While the City of Chicago struggles with rogue tow truck drivers who rip off motorists for thousands of dollars in fees, the city of Philadelphia addressed that problem about 10 years ago.

In Philly, the city requires tow truck companies to be on a city-approved list. The drivers work on a rotational basis. There are 30 companies on the list, and they are allowed to operate in up to four of six geographical areas. A company at the top of the list gets the assigned tow and then moves to the bottom. The city also requires the operators to respond to a call within 20 minutes.

Philadelphia has operated under this system for 10 years. Illinois passed a law in 2008 that allows police to call a private company to tow a vehicle. But, because it’s a city of more than 1 million, Chicago is exempt and officials haven’t shown a willingness to allow it. As a result, accident-chasing tow drivers show up on a scene and take advantage of motorists, charging them thousands of dollars for tows and storage.

“It has not stopped wreck-chasing entirely, but it has certainly helped the City tighten up the enforcement process against bad actors and enhanced the effectiveness of the rotational towing program,” said Philadelphia city spokeswoman Maita Soukup.

The city imposes a standard fee for the tow and storage fees. The towing fees range from $215 to $400, depending on the weight of the vehicle.  The daily storage fee ranges from $25 to $75.

Tow truck operators face fines up to $1,000 for drivers who repeatedly violate the city’s ordinance.

Philadelphia also requires tow truck drivers to have a smart phone with internet access and a photo ID.

New York City has operated a similar program for more than 30 years. Towing fees there range from $125 to $140. Storage is $25 per day for three days, then increases to $27.

The list of approved operators are called to an accident by police, who are responsible for maintaining the list of companies.

The city acknowledges that illegal tows are still among the top complaints. New York’s Department of Consumer and Work Protection recently launched an investigation into tow truck insurance fraud.

That is sure interesting that they are talking about Philadelphia having the issue handled, since they are still a mess.  Phila recently got AutoReturn in there and things are still a joke.

store_21169_logo_image_1613770811.png