Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Typical Roll Over On A Friday  

• Platinum Sponsor

3-19-07

Received a call from Mass State Police to respond to Rte. 81 at Rte. 24 N Ramp for a loaded TT-unit carrying a full load of crushed cars with a total weight of about 94,000 lbs. Apparently the operator Raymond Calise requested that Big Wheel do the recovery. We responded with (2) of our 60 ton Rotators and a Heavy-duty Wrecker. We also brought in our air bag equipment to lift the entire trailer and truck. We also had a large debris area to clean up that fell out ot the crushed cars. By using air bags that eliminated the need to unload the cars on the highway causing further traffic problems. Using the (2) Rotators and the air lift bags the unit was brought back onto its wheels then towed to our Freetown location. Day 2 we had to return to the accident location with our Loader and a dump truck to cleanup all the debris that came out of the crushed cars. We also had to off load the crushed cars onto one of Metals recyclings trailers 4 days later using our heavy-duty front-end loader with 8' heavy-duty forks.

carcarriertt-unitrollover001.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover002.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover003.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover004.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover005.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover006.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover007.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover008.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover009.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover010.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover011.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover012.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover013.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover014.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover016.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover017.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover018.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover019.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover020.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover021.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover022.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover023.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover024.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover025.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover026.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover027.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover028.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover029.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover030.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover031.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover032.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover033.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover034.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover035.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover036.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover037.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover038.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover039.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover040.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover041.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover042.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover043.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover044.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover045.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover046.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover047.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover048.jpg

carcarriertt-unitrollover049.jpg

cleanupforcarcarriertt-unitrollover.jpg

cleanupforcarcarriertt-unitrollo-1.jpg

restackingcarsforcarcarriertt-unitr.jpg

restackingcarsforcarcarriertt-un-1.jpg

restackingcarsforcarcarriertt-un-2.jpg

bigwheelsig.jpg

Danielswt Said:

nice work,

do you have any pictures of the way your bay truck is organized inside? im just starting to set up a 14 bay single axle recovery trailer and am looking for idea's.

BANNER2.jpg

acidxciter said:

eric or bob i have a question. why didnt you guys decide to set up on the other ramp and reverse roll the unit. you could of put more staps on trailer and maybe not use cushions?
trucks still looking good!
db115f54a62008aa5ce50f929bf8a570716fa98.jpg

very, very nice job !!!!!! great use of equipment,ALL your trucks look great, nice use of cushions( cant wait to here what you started by using bags on this one lol,lol...)your team looked good and the entire job looked very professional. stay safe and keep up the good work.....

Heavytowman12 said:
Loked like it could be a bit difficult. You made it look easy.Are those cars secured in there. If so by what means.

wstowing11 said:
I would say that the bags helped nicely on this one ! The cars are generally held by a cable or chain coming from the wall side, over the cars down to a hook point, then bindered in. We load these guys at the shop, and that is what I have seen the guy do to secure them. The only thing I would have done different is probably use chains, instead of straps , just put many angles in where the chain contacts the trailer to transfer the load .

Dallas Horton said:
Another awesome job by the Big Wheel crew, like others said nice use of all your equipment even everybodys favorite loader._______________________
Dallas Horton

BigWheelRecovery Replied,
All of the men there are full time we could use more help sometimes . but everything went very well and all our guys are at least a 4-5 or a 6-7 wreckmaster . thanks ericbigwheelsig.jpg

Da Wash Boss said:
super nice job as always nothing less by team yellow there. just find it hard to believe that those 2 rotators could not lift that trailer by themselves.
Danny Cassello - TRPC - East Hartford, CT

BigWheelRecovery said:
Dan one tater could lift the the trailer if it was solid like a overseas container,unfortunately we were grossing 94 thousand with most of the weight was in the trailer, an the sides of the trailer is made of wire. For anyone who has tryed this it's quite a feat. When we do a recovery we like to us it like a paid training class, an also timed,The air bags are placed to lift the weight in just the right places,if we screw up the wall breaks then were done ,we have to devert to the old time, time consuming way of removing each car full with crap using the loader an the long forks.Stacking them up on the side of the very bussey highway at rush hour,thats not us.An lastly it isn't every day you get the opertunity to use your air bags, there stuck in some closed up truck for long periods of time, well they want to come out an play to,an on a recovery job they really bring home the bacon. I probably could babble on an on on this subject but I'll spare you all,,thanks again BOB
bigwheelsig.jpg

FMS Mike:
When you are gonna need the people there as it is why not use the equipment. BWR always covering their bases. Great to see. Those Tators are gorgeous!!

Michaelfarmsig2-8.jpg

lilbeach said:
Hey big wheel, i'd like to see what you have mounted up on the toolbox of the 60 ton. looks like a gen. and a air compressor, what else you have up there.

BigWheelRecovery replied:
THERE are torches gen and air compressor all the things we seem to need we have all the same gear on all of the trucks and in our recovery trailer you never know when you are going to need the equiptment always good to have and not need then to need and not have . thanks eric
bigwheelsig.jpg

Git R Towed said:

Bob there is no room here for any bad comments of any kind. As always you done an excellent job. If you was drinking a cup of coffee someone could find a different way to hold the cup. Thanks for the great pictures, I admire your operation, Thanks again.............John ..Rock City Garage, Git R Towed

BigWheelRecovery said:

You know John when someone gives us a negitive comment it doesn't bother me at all,acutauly I will look at what they see in the job with the thought that I might of missed something during the heat of battle,An sometimes there right, I think negitive comments will bother Eric sometimes as you probably guessed, but for all the heavy hitters like Dan, DB, Teds, an Jorge just to name a few I think we try to turn a negitive into a positive so everyone can benifit from it. Basicly seeing methods an equipment others use an providing a good narritive to help others see what we saw. This site is the best training tool this industry has to offer so far without going to a paid class ,it just gives a lot of basic knowledge,an helps others understand the trade a little better. Thanks again BOB

bigwheelsig.jpg

J TRGO said:

Bob,
I have to agree with you this site is a wonderful tool to learn new ways to do things!Great looking equipment i hope that the deal with crawford works out for you!STAY SAFE!
THANKS, JAY TRGO.

Archived