Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Re: A Problematic Employee

rreschran

Hi All ... Just for fun I pose to you this question: One of your best drivers calls in sick, but wasn't so sick that he was seen later the same evening at a local dirt track drinking beer with a bunch of buddies. How do you as owner approach this situation while maintaining your calm? Because there are three issues here (trust, honesty and an employee working the system), what would you do to keep this employee in-check? Does it matter or not that the driver was "one of the company's best"? Verbal warning? Reprimand? Suspension? Dismissal? What is your company's sick policy?   R.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Randall C. Resch

• 1 month later...

If a person thinks they are working too hard, or is getting burned out they need to staff the issue with their employer or supervisor. To lie and state that you are sick, then be seen out in public drinking is not acceptable. I do not care what you know, or how good you are or think you are, if I can not trust you, I can not trust you.

Once that asterisk is next to your name it is hard to, if not impossible to make it go away.

• Thanks 1

On 10/19/2019 at 3:39 PM, goodmichael said:

If a person thinks they are working too hard, or is getting burned out they need to staff the issue with their employer or supervisor. To lie and state that you are sick, then be seen out in public drinking is not acceptable. I do not care what you know, or how good you are or think you are, if I can not trust you, I can not trust you.

Once that asterisk is next to your name it is hard to, if not impossible to make it go away.

But to lie in business is good rite? The only thing i am amaze from when the employe does it back to the boss. The boss get all mad. And start nagging. When the employess i didnt say anything about yours. if can dish it you have to take it to..

• 3 months later...

Yeah, often just confronting them about it works to limit future abuse.

The question was asked - Does he deserve some off time ?

I find the majority tend to like getting even more time off so nothing is resolved. No, best to make them work their way back to the point they were at before the lie. But, even more important is to ask why they felt the need to lie. There are various reasons and no one can analyze the situation without knowing the working hours as they vary in the towing industry these days. We attempt to be much more accommodating now as compared to in the past. But, either way there are always those that complain and those that abuse the system. The driver pool continues to decrease so most companies have to deal with it unless the employee isn't an asset.  

• Like 1

Too many people see lying to get a day off as normal whereas I would much rather an employee to just be honest. If you want to go and have some beers with your buddies at the race track, then say so. We are all adults and I get it. Everybody needs a day here and there to blow off steam. Just my opinion. 

• Thanks 1

PROFESSIONAL TOWING & RECOVERY IS NOT JUST A JOB.. IT IS A LIFESTYLE

I worked for a man decades ago who always stated and stressed that your word is your bond. Without it you are lacking in value. 

I always value a persons time with family. People should be working to elevate their position in life and improve their status in life for themself and their family. 

If you need time ask for it. And when your employees ask for it do all you can to accommodate them. Life is short. It is meant to be enjoyed. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1