Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

SUPER DOLLY med / heavy duty tow unit

sweetk30

first off i asked TOW ZONE were to post this up and he said here and will approve this posting after its up .

i had been in the towing business for around 10 years and seen a lot and done a lot of cool stuff . i also seen a lot of guys struggle with some jobs and i saw a need to make things better / faster / easier so i set out to try and fill this need . my old boss had one but it was not as beefy as mine is and over the years he found a few week points and had to have them fixed up and strengthened . my unit i set out to build took all these week points or design flaws and kicked them out the door and i went BEEFY with my build . i have had a few people look at this and say it looks over built and 1 guy who is a engineer said its very sturdy and could have been built a little less beefy and still be fine . 

here is my little ad i have made up for the unit . i have a lot more pics of the unit all you need to do is just ask me for them .

the price point i am targeting is $6,000 dollars for the unit ready to go as you see it in the pic . this is within the price point for its size as the smaller dolly units for 1ton down for cars and such can be over 2k dollars for the top of the line set new . this unit is made to handle much bigger loads and haul almost anything you can think of on it . also do not forget this is special equipment and most billing limit rules do not apply so charge what you feel is needed for the speed of the unit & easy of use . this unit can pay for its self in 2-3 jobs then its all profit from then on .

i welcome any feedback on this item and questions about it just ask and i will answer them .

thanks for reading and looking my unit over and have a safe work day out there .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

spacer.png

today we have  ........ SUPER DOLLY ..................

this unit is much bigger than your standard tow truck wrecker dolly unit . this unit is made for BIG trucks / campers / stuff that's just to big or bulky to fit in a reg size tow dolly setup that is found on smaller wrecker trucks .

this unit is made to help DRASTICALLY reduce your on site clean up time of a wreck or disabled BIG vehicle that for some reason you can't tow with the axles on the ground . this item can be loaded on a rollback flatbed to deliver to the work site . this gives you a extra worker at the site to help speed up the job . you can even hang this from your BIG wrecker tow truck and be taken to the call . you would then lift one end of the disabled vehicle and place the SUPER DOLLY under and set the load in and secure it down with up to 8 5/8" D-ring tie down points on the unit to pick from . then hook the other end and tow away and get the job done faster & with less work .

if you want a faster way to move big objects / dead & damaged trucks / old dead campers / shipping containers / what ever you can think of to fit in or on this then this is the unit for you .

the load capacity of the tires is 16,320 lbs on 16" trailer cargo tires with load range G and 14 ply . the unit is 10ft 8in wide outside tire to tire . the inside area is setup to to fit up to 104inch width . the tire pans low point is 12" off the ground . the SUPER DOLLY is just at about 1000 lbs weight by its self . the open section of the unit is set at a 53inch opening to give oil pan / brake chamber / drive shaft room for most items being hauled . the last 2 pics are of a trailer suspension unit fitting in the SUPER DOLLY .

this item can pay for its self in just 2-3 jobs then after this its all profit .

this unit is made for for temporary use as to its overall width . this unit is for trained towing professionals only . the unit is sold as is with no liability or warranty on sellers part as it is to be used by trained professionals as each and every job is unique .
Edited by sweetk30
  • Like 1

ex-tow truck operator . ex- auto mechanic . just a nice guy trying to make a living and enjoy life .

1987 k30 chevy 1ton 4x4 built from scratch truck as my daily driver - work truck .

here is a few extra pics .

pic #1 is the front end of a tractor set in the unit ready to roll if it had chains and or straps on .

0701181704b.md.jpg

pic #2 is of the rear end in the unit ready to roll also

0701181717c.md.jpg

pic #3 is of the a van body trailer's old air ride suspension set in the unit no air in bags full drop and the lower links clean with room to spare .

0701181731a.md.jpg

pic #4 is of the unit my old boss has that's smaller in weight capacity and wider than my unit . this was a recent job he did with a full burned out tractor off the highway . he was in/out in under 30 min time .

dt2.md.jpg

pic #5 is of the same unit hauling away a old rv camper that was in a yard for close to if not over 30 years . it was sitting almost on the frame rails with all 6 tires dry rotted off and brakes frozen up . he hauled 2 of them out and to there new home in 2 hrs time and it was a trip threw town and up 15 miles in to the country side to a farm .

dt3.md.jpg

pic #6 is of a bad mva with a med duty propane truck . a car struck the whole left side and took both axles and twisted them 30-40* in the frame to the back side and also broke some hangers and ubolts . he was in and out in under 30 min time with this one also .

dt6.md.jpg

Edited by sweetk30

ex-tow truck operator . ex- auto mechanic . just a nice guy trying to make a living and enjoy life .

1987 k30 chevy 1ton 4x4 built from scratch truck as my daily driver - work truck .

testing the market over on ebay . take a look and tell me what you think of the ad .

also note my 100% feedback not 1 neg or nut ever in my history of 477 + deals

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303278500724

Edited by sweetk30

• 3 weeks later...

anyone with feedback or idea's ?

all of us pro's on here and tons of views and not 1 word .

the guy who has the green wheel one loves his and would not trade it or sell it . he said the times he uses it its the best tool in his hand bag of good working no extra b.s. equipment he has .

less storage space and no plates or insurance or extra driver needed for it .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303303343873

Edited by sweetk30

Over the past few years it seems many became accustom to reading topics on all forms of social media. Preferring to sit back and watch and a few others, generally to same ones all the time comment. It's going to take some time to get the message back back to where it was a decade ago. But, I know there are many out there ready to participate on a professional level again.

4 hours ago, Moose said:

It's Hard To Justify one of these! But, there have to be small companies without landoll trailers.

yes but how high does the trailer put the load off the ground ?    my unit is 1ft at the low point of the pans for tires .  you cant tow a double bunk sleeper unit tractor on most all trailers and clear 13f 6" height . you will be a good 3-4 foot over and then what do you do ?

lots of times working in a tight area try getting a trailer in and loaded up .

the trailer takes up more storage lot space = less money per spot for impounds and wrecks to sit .

my old boss has his dolly and a landoll trailer and a few other 2 car trailers . he has used the landoll 1 time in the almost 5 years i worked there and that was just to help a friend move a backhoe that ran and drove a long distance .  he has used his dolly unit a lot more than he has ever used the landoll trailer .

he also has a fleet of 15+ trucks from roll backs to heavy wreckers . and his shop is directly behind a interstate highway with many exits in the area and tons of traffic including big trucks .

i understand your point above tho and respect it . but also look at this from my units point of view and think it over .

Edited by sweetk30

• 2 weeks later...

So the biggest issue we had here in Utah about that dolly is the overall width. It would make for 8 inches over our legal load width without having to get more permits. As cool as it is, the boss agreed as well, we would need to figure out some way to make it 10 feet or less in width. 

• Like 1

no way to keep it this low and under 10ft in width i can see . i took and machined out the lips of the 2 main i-beams on both sides to let the unit be sucked in so tight it gives just the room needed .

i understand the permit problems . but this was not designed to be used on a everyday i know all the roads and vehicles and rules job . it was made for the oh crap the cops are screaming down my neck to get the highway open asap and just get it out of here and my road cleaned up .

i do thank you for the feedback TTOUT and understand your comments .

i do know its a hard deal to get sold on the idea and use . i know some areas it will not be used for legal or other reasons . but i am sure there is the 1 tow company that will see its usefulness and pick it up and add it to there fleet of recovery tools .

Edited by sweetk30

• 1 month later...

well today was the big day . i sent her off to here new home out in the mid west via truck freight .

this was NOT with out some drama from the shipping company . . . . loooong story but YRC requires all shipments over 90" automatically be fully enclosed . the computer system never once notified me of this on there web site .

but he should be seeing the unit mid next week . he was happy with the purchase and asked 1 major question was all . will i help ship it . so it sounds like he knows how it works and has a lot of use for it . looks like he is the big guy around his parts and so he must be making his company very handy with equipment options .

hope to be getting some action pics and feedback from him .

if someone wants to buy one just hit me up and i can build another in a short window of time .

thanks to all who looked / asked questions / provided feedback / helped me on this journey . . . .great site here and i will be hanging around for sure . 🤠

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

seen those pics and setup but i didn't think it would hold up as long over time as the axle / spindle stubs hanging out in the air . mine i made the whole axle support the weight and design of the unit . but each to there own if it works run it .

i also looked a lot for more info on this setup online but kept hitting dead ends and or others asking were to get a setup .

the one i based mine off and improved on was from my old boss and he had his a lot longer than that magazine article from 2007 . there can only be so many ideas on how to do a simple job in the world . so we are bound to run in to the same or super close design layout here and there from time to time .

thanks for the post up / link to the other setup you guys had made . hope this and mine help some people / operators get the job done faster and safer in the end and make more cash faster and with less hard work .

Edited by sweetk30

• 2 months later...

I am getting a real heavy duty this year.  
Being  a one man band I can see the usefulness of it.   
With  my old shop built heavy duty , I had used a Steer axle to move a dozer and some different things.  
I think it’s a great tool.  
I’m hoping to order one from you in the next year.   

Robert

not a problem . drop me a line and we can talk .

good luck with your big heavy purchase and stay safe on the roads out there .