Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

ANy Thoughts?

its a euro thing you wouldnt understand . 🤣

think of it like the shoping cart dolly units they have now but this is for cars . the road and driveways over there are so small this is the big ticket .

Edited by sweetk30

ex-tow truck operator . ex- auto mechanic . just a nice guy trying to make a living and enjoy life .

1987 k30 chevy 1ton 4x4 built from scratch truck as my daily driver - work truck .

This piece of equipment is called a Trax  and is marketed in the UK and Europe they are very good for getting stuff that is stuck in park etc, gets into places where it is not possible to use dolly wheels  or in multi storey or underground carparks where height is a restriction

they are becoming quite popular as a damage free option, with big city towing companies  having to move high end cars and 4x4's  no worries about using skates or slippery jims, 

they are available in all sorts of derivatives , either diesel or electric, tracked or wheeled.  and different weight capabilities. 

I haven't heard of any bad feedback about them.....yet !

John.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I like the concept ... yet, it's not new, only perfected. There other considerations based on the wording of, "securement", and, "unsecured load?"

Several year's ago, a California tow company used a forklift with a wheel-lift attachment, and then lifted a wrecked vehicle from its rear wheels in the same manner this photo depicts. The forklift and vehicle combination was backed to the carrier and then was winched onto the carrier into transport position. The tower added tie-downs to the forklift's rear end and the vehicle's end at the tailboard like shown in this photo. When the tower headed-out to deliver the vehicle to its destination, a city cop commercial enforcement officer stopped and cited the tower for unsecured load and saying there was too much float (movement?) in the lifted end of the vehicle. Hey ...  I don't make this stuff up.

So, I have to ask and based on a transported vehicle having or not having a required four-point tie-down (as required in most US states) ... would this manner of transport be legal based on the wording that defines four-point tie-down? Do you think this is a secured load, and if not, what would you have done to gain better securement?     R. 

Randall C. Resch

Randall....    The DOT and the Police in the UK are now becoming very pro active over load security and there are hefty penalties for insecure loads....and quite rightly too ...

as regards vehicles being transported.... 4 point tie down is necessary...  the way the rear of the vehicle pictured above is secured is perfectly correct ...

However .... the strap securing the rear of the load is in my opinion ...not sufficient. 

The last thing I want to be is judgemental at this stage of the loading,  because he may not have completed the securing before he set off.

But as it stands and If I was doing that job,  I would certainly secure both of the front wheels of the car  to the platform of the Tow Truck, the same as the rears …. this will negate any possible bounce that may occur.

Additionally....there is a D link on the track bed of the Trax machine ….and even if there wasn't, I would want to secure both sides to the platform as well ...thus giving ample security to both parts of the load. 

John.

i see it here a lot people using 1 or 2 500LB supper cheep ratchet straps to hold 2kLB atv / side by side / lawn tractor all down to a trailer and there also not even pulling the load down to the trailer the right way as you can watch it roll all over the place on the trailer . heck 1 day i saw a fly by night paver guy his roller unit had ZERO straps or chains on it . o.m.g. that was scary to have ever seen .

my old boss one time had to go pick up a rolled small suv the local rental shop let leave with a equipment trailer and  mini excavator on it . he got 15 miles down the highway and it started whipping and fishtailed and rolled him / trailer / equipment all in the middle of the 4 lane 65mph highway blocking both lanes the 1 direction .

i with the cops had more time and energy here to start cracking down on all these things .

ex-tow truck operator . ex- auto mechanic . just a nice guy trying to make a living and enjoy life .

1987 k30 chevy 1ton 4x4 built from scratch truck as my daily driver - work truck .