Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Is it worth working with CAA ??

TowZone

09-21-15: AlexT Wrote,

Hi all, I'm just wondering if it's worth working with CAA ? What are their rates? Great volume ? 
Thanks

Cooter64 said:

In a word . NO

Fixdent said:

It probably depends where you are located. I'm up in the northern boonies, and caa pays our regular rates and mileage. We don't get alot but it helps. It used to be better when caa did the Ford Roadside, because the closest dealer is 220 kms away.
Sykes does Ford Roadside now....
-- Gordon

cdntowguy said:

I'll ad my 2cents worth here.
I was an "urban contractor" in Ottawa for 12 yrs. 3 trucks, up to 4 guys at times. I fired them 5 1/2yrs ago, and went "one man band"

It took me a while and many drivers, batt trucks, wreckers and  flatbeds to figure out that there was no profit in CAA work.

It can work as a tool to build your business, and become known in your area that your working. If you present yourself as a " business man who wants to grow his empire", be professional, clean trucks, treat customers properly.... it can work. You need to be in the truck, Garage owners and managers want to deal with you, not some random driver. 

If you're looking for a contract that's going to make you a million dollars, this ain't it. In fact, if all you want to do is CAA calls, you've bought yourself a job WITHOUT the benefits of being an employee.

Be careful of what you wish for. Steve in Ottawa

towcats said:

Cooter called it exactly correct. CAA will sink you, or at minimum hold you back.

Cooter64 said:

That's because I've been there and had the toque.

HeavyHook said:

Same here, learned long time back. There's just now middle ground, not to mention profit. Working with them. Focus your attention on paying work!!

Rob93xj said:

I'm amazed at these replies, CAA is the reason we now have 3 trucks on the road, they pay our going rates and in some cases I get paid more than I would charge the public. I've been a provider for them for 3 years and went from being a one man band to having my brother and driving and recently a 3rd. The guy who runs Atlantic Canada is great to deal with and truly believes to keep their customers happy they have to keep us happy, we have a great relationship.

I'm not saying these replies are wrong by any means! I just don't think it's fair to lump it altogether, its obviously a different situation depending on where you're located.

I recently recieved an e-mail from NSD looking for contractors and the rates were literally laughable, $29 for a service call, $45 for motorcycle, $19 for a GOA all within 16km. Then I have a look around here and they are rated #1 above CAA/AAA.....
R&D Towing - St.John's, NL, Canada

MACK6X6 said;
     The situation you describe with the motorclub work is typical.  They keep you busy for a few years, then suddenly the business starts to fall off - mostly due to either you asking for a raise and / or they find someone to work cheaper.  This happened to me and I have read countless other stories of the same situation.  The only exception might be that you are in an area that has no other towing companies - you have a captive area so to speak.  The response that the gentleman posting received is evidence of the typical trend - good luck, Steve.

Arby said:
Just surfing through some old posts and saw this one and have to agree 100% with Rob93XJ's post ......

" I'm amazed at these replies, CAA is the reason we now have 3 trucks on the road, they pay our going rates and in some cases I get paid more than I would charge the public. I've been a provider for them for 3 years and went from being a one man band to having my brother and driving and recently a 3rd. The guy who runs Atlantic Canada is great to deal with and truly believes to keep their customers happy they have to keep us happy, we have a great relationship.

I'm not saying these replies are wrong by any means! I just don't think it's fair to lump it altogether, its obviously a different situation depending on where you're located."

...I have been a CAA contractor for 23 years ,having had 4 reps, in Atlantic Canada and have also found CAA Atlantic to be very fair and great to deal with . We also have a repair facility which enables us to help the traveling motorist and at the same time adding to our bottom line. Every businessperson's wants, needs and requirements are gonna be different to what makes them profitable. In the past we have had to decline work from MC's that were not making us profitable . At first it would affect our call volume but  profitability would remain constant or even increase by not doing their calls. An old timer from the area had a saying.." You might as well be an idle fool rather than a busy fool " .

all the best to all and KEEP SAFE OUT THERE

Archived