Quantcast
  • Join the TowForce community.

It looks like you're not logged in. Register to get started and to receive Tower Down Notices.

Driver that Struck & Killed Steve Simpson in 2016 sentenced

TowZone

A Jefferson County judge sentenced Billy Hillard to eight years on Wednesday. Hillard had previously pleaded guilty to manslaughter, in exchange for a lesser sentence.

Hillard hit and killed Steve Simpson, a tow truck driver, on October 3, 2016. Simpson had responded to a call on Dixie Highway.

Simpson's widow, Tammie Simpson, spoke at sentencing, describing her life since then as 'a living hell.' She told the judge she wanted Hillard to have time behind bars to truly consider his actions.

"Tomorrow he's going to be able to call his kids. He's gonna be able to call his wife. That's something I can't do. I can't call my husband in heaven. He has turned my life upside down," Tammie Simpson said.

Hillard apologized to the family and promised he was dedicated to his sobriety, "I know nothing I say or do will possibly change what happened. Best thing I can think of is I'm sorry. I pray to God every night that he takes your pain away and heals y'all hearts," Hillard said.

While Hillard's attorney asked Judge Barry Willet to consider home incarceration or probation, Willett followed through with the recommended eight year sentence.

Still, Tammie Simpson said that did not seem long enough for the years she would spend without her husband.

"Forgiveness comes from the heart and right now our hearts are not ready to forgive someone that took our loved one," she said after Wednesday's hearing.

Hillard will be eligible for parole after serving 20 percent of that eight year sentence. Because of time served, that could be less than a year.

RESOURCE LINK with video

NoT Enough TiMe For A Life Taken.... Seems the JuDge did GiVe him More TiMe than Others would have. I Agree if this had Been A Law Enforcement officer, he likely would get 20+ years. A Life is a Life and Certainly when take by a person driving under the influence. Something tells me we'll be hearing about this guy in the News Again Someday.

• 2 years later...

Yesterday I brought up Steve Simpson who was struck and killed on Dixie Hwy. in Louisville, Ky. October 3, 2016. Today we did some research into his killer. Did anyone here know that he was given an 8 year sentence for manslaughter in 2019. Released this past February after serving approximately 2.5 years of the 8 year sentence? The early release was in part due to overcrowding.